Ridge gourd combined with shrimp to make this delicious curry. A very rare combination, which works out great when cooked well seasoned in the form of a peppery thick gravy. The recipe shared here is from my granny and all credit goes to her. Ridge Gourd ~ English, Peerkangai ~ Tamil, Beerakaya ~ Telugu, Heeray Kayi ~ Kannada, Turai ~ Hindi, Peechinga ~ Malayalam, Wetakolu ~ Sinhala, Gisoda~ Gujara
seafood recipes, eral recipes, shrimp recipes, non vegetarian curries, easy recipes, south indian food, enga veetu samayal, tamil recipes, tamil food, chennai style recipes, tamil nadu recipes, tamilian food, ridge gourd recipes, side dish recipes, gravy recipes, peerkangai recipes, ridge gourd curry, ridge gourd gravy, ridge gourd masala
|1 & 1/2 cup||Ridge gourd (chopped)|
|1 cup||Onion (chopped)|
|1/2 cup||Tomato (chopped)|
|1 teaspoon||Ginger (crushed)|
|4 cloves||Garlic (crushed)|
|1||Green chili (small)|
|1/4 teaspoon||Turmeric powder|
|3/4 teaspoon||Red chili powder|
|2 teaspoons||Coriander /dhania powder|
|1 teaspoon||Black pepper powder|
|1/2 teaspoon||Salt (or to taste)|
|1/4 teaspoon||Cumin seeds|
|1/4 teaspoon||Fennel seeds|
|10 leaves||Curry leaves|
|3 teaspoons||Coriander leaves (for garnishing)|
Some Eral recipes to try from our page…ERAL VARUVAL PRAWN MOILEE Eral Keerai Poriyal PRAWN MOILEE Eral n spring onion Vadai Eral Kuzhambu Kovakkai Milagu Eral Masala Eral Kuzhambu Eral Vadai Avarakkai Eral Poriyal PRAWN MOILEE Chilli Prawns (Dry) Prawn Puttu Prawn Mushroom Pulao
- Wash and peel the rough ridges of the Ridge gourd and chop them finely.
- Clean the shrimp and wash them in cold water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy sauce pan and splutter mustard, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and curry leaves.
- When they all stop dancing, add the chopped onion, slit open green chili and fry till slightly golden.
- Add the crushed ginger garlic and fry till they loose their raw smell.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, ridge gourd and cleaned shrimp.
- Cover and cook over medium flame for 6 to 7 minutes stirring frequently to avoid burning. T
- he juice from tomatoes and ridge gourd should be enough to cook the shrimp and there is no need to add any water.
- When done add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder and salt. Cook until the gravy thickens and oil leaves the side. (Should take about 5 minutes over medium flame).
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and there you go… a great looking, tasty, spicy curry for your rice.
- Good with sambar, pepper rasam and most of all, very nice side for curd rice.
Some Shrimp recipes to try from our site… Kailan n shrimp poriyal Shrimp pickle Erra Thokku(Shrimp Gravy) simple shrimp fry shrimp scampi with linguine pasta Lemon Shrimp Fettuccine Shrimp Biryani Shrimp Biryani Royyala Iguru
This dish is smacking hot and if you wish to have it less spicy, reduce the pepper powder to 1/2 tsp.
This recipe serve 3 people (approx).
1. To remove the shell from the shrimp, first hold onto the tail while gently removing the shell around the body, then the tail can be detached completely by just pulling it.
2. After this, the vein has to be removed, make a shallow cut lengthwise down the outer curve of the shrimp’s body using a paring knife, pick out the dark ribbon-like vein running lengthwise along the shrimp’s back.
3. Then rinse the shrimp in cold water and keep them iced or cook them off.