Minced Eral mixed with roasted gram flour (Pottukadalai / Channa / Dalia flour), shaped into little vadais and deep fried. Rare chettinad influenced recipe, perfect appetizer and also a great side for any non -veg meal. (Shrimp Vadai / Prawn Vadai / Royyala Vadai )
English to Tamil, Shrimp / Prawn — Eral.
|1 no||Onion (chopped)|
|1 no||Green chili (slit open)|
|4 clove||Garlic (crushed)|
|1 pinch||Turmeric (for shrimp)|
|¼ tsp||Turmeric powder|
|¼ tsp||Red chili powder|
|½ tsp||Fennel seeds|
|¼ tsp||Cumin seeds|
|½ cup||Dalia flour (split roasted gram)|
|15 nos||Curry leaves|
|2 stks||Coriander leaves (finely chopped)|
|2 cup||Oil (for deep frying)|
|2 tsp||Oil (for sauteing)|
1. Wash, devein and clean the shrimp. Heat a cup of water and bring it to a boil, add the cleaned shrimp with a pinch of turmeric and salt. Cook covered for 3 minutes (this should help to cook the shrimp), switch off, drain the stock and let cool the shrimp. When done, run it on your mixie for a couple of times or until it is well shredded.
2. Crush the garlic and slightly pound the fennel seeds.
3. Coarsely ground the roasted gram / pottukadali and keep them aside.
4. Heat 2 tsp oil, splutter the curry leaves, cumin seeds and pounded fennel seeds. Add the chopped onion, green chili and crushed garlic and fry till translucent. Add the minced or shredded eral along with turmeric and red chili powder. Saute for a while, switch off and let cool.
5. Now combine this shrimp mixture with Dalia / Pottukadai flour along with salt and finely chopped coriander. Mix to form a soft dough. Shape them into small vadais and keep aside.
6. Heat oil in a pan, sample a small piece and check whether it stays firm without melting in oil. When the oil temperature is too low or consistency of the dough is too soft then this problem occurs. Oil temperature should be perfect and dough should be firm, adjust with flour. When confident enough, proceed with deep frying until golden. Strain excess oil with a paper towel and serve.
This should yield about 15 small vadais good enough for 4 people.
Check similar recipes
How to clean shrimp/prawn
1. To remove the shell from the shrimp, first hold onto the tail while gently removing the shell around the body, then the tail can be detached completely by just pulling it.
2. After this, the vein has to be removed, make a shallow cut lengthwise down the outer curve of the shrimp’s body using a paring knife, pick out the dark ribbon-like vein running lengthwise along the shrimp’s back.
3. Then rinse the shrimp in cold water and keep them iced or cook them off.