Paneer cooked in rich yogurt based tomato onion gravy. This recipe can be cooked in two ways.. First being the royal way, sauteing everything in ghee, adding cream, garnishing with dry fruits and nuts … fully loaded with fat, “Shahi” literally meaning made to suit the royal table. Second being the humble low fat home style version. Here’s my style of spicy Shahi Paneer and let you guys and gals to decide the category.
shahi paneer masala, shahi paneer gravy recipe, how to make shahi paneer, north indian gravy recipes, vegetarian recipes, paneer recipes, side dish recipes, gravy recipes, side dish for naan, paratha, roti, restaurant style shahi paneer, yogurt gravy recieps, enga veetu samayal, shahi paneer recipe, low fat shahi paneer
|1 & 1/2 cups||Onion (chopped)|
|1 cup||Tomato (chopped)|
|1/8 teaspoon||Shah jeera|
|1/4 inch||Cinnamon stick|
|1||Mace/jathipoo(just one petal)|
|1 pinch||Nutmeg powder(grated from whole nutmeg)|
|1 teaspoon||Black pepper corns|
|1 (long)||Green chili|
|1 cup||Yogurt / curd (preferably thick)|
|4 whole||Cashews or skinned almonds|
|1 cup||Paneer (cubed)|
|1/2 teaspoon||Cumin seeds|
|1/4 teaspoon||Turmeric powder|
|1 teaspoon||Kashmir red chili powder|
|1/2 teaspoon||Coriander /dhania powder|
|1/2 teaspoon||Salt (or to taste)|
|4 teaspoons||Coriander leaves (chopped for garnishing)|
- Soak almonds / cashews in warm water for 15 minutes and then peel the skin off. Grind it with yogurt to make a thick sauce and keep it aside.
- Paneer cubes can be either shallow fried in little ghee but its optional, you can also add them directly to the gravy. If fried then soak them in warm water until use.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan and fry the onions till golden. Add chopped tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes and switch off.
- Grind this sauteed onion and tomato along with green chili, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, shah jeera, mace, nutmeg, black peppercorn, ginger and garlic to make a thick paste.
- Now heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, splutter cumin seeds and add the ground paste along with turmeric, kashmiri chili powder and coriander powder. Fry everything over medium flame for 10 minutes. The oil should separate by this time and its all ready for the next step.
- Add the yogurt almond sauce to this and simmer for 5 minutes over low flame.
- Now add salt, fried paneer pieces and milk.
- Simmer for few minutes over low flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with naan or paratha.
- This recipe serves 4 people (approx).
- Cashews make this gravy rich, to keep it healthy i have used almonds. Either one of them work.
- Shah jeera is very strong, so a little goes a long way.
- This is slightly a low fat version, if you prefer a rich gravy… feel free to add 1/4 cream tot he recipe.