Paneer and green peas cooked in a rich onion-tomato gravy. One of my non- desi friend wanted an easy recipe for a paneer dish and I had come up something easy for him to try using ready made masalas from Indian stores. This recipe can be called semi homemade… I’ve used sweet frozen green peas, pre-fried paneer cubes, tomato puree / canned crushed tomatoes, half and half cream. Its very easy to make This mild north Indian dish is served with naan or paratha.
paneer recipes, paneer matar masala, how to make matar paneer, north indian food, enga veetu samayal, peas paneer gravy, paneer gravy, side dish recipes, side dish for roti, chapati or naan, easy matar paneer recipe, quick north indian gravy dishes, gravy recipes, vegetarian gravies, vegetarian recipes, accompaniments, how to make paneer at home
|1/2 cup||Green peas (sweet, frozen peas or precooked green peas)|
|1 cup||Onion (diced)|
|2 cups||Tomato puree or crushed tomato|
|1 teaspoon||Ginger garlic paste|
|2 leaves||Bay leaf|
|1 teaspoon||Cumin seeds|
|1 teaspoon||Kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)|
|3 teaspoons||Red chilli powder|
|1 teaspoon||Coriander/dhania powder|
|2 pinch||Turmeric powder|
|1 teaspoon||Garam masala powder|
|4 tablespoons||Fresh cream (half & half)|
|1 teaspoon||Salt (or to taste)|
|2 teaspoons||Coriander leaves (for garnishing)|
|1/4 teaspoon||Sugar / honey|
- Heat oil and butter in a sauce pan, fry the cubed paneer pieces and keep them aside.
- In the same pan, sizzle bay leaf and cumin seeds.
- Now add chopped onions and saute until golden along with ginger garlic paste.
- Now add pureed tomatoes along with turmeric powder, red chilli powder, dhania powder, garam masala, kasturi methi, sugar and salt.
- Cook every thing on low medium flame for few minutes. Cook until the tomato puree thickens.
- Then add half & half cream, green peas and fried paneer.
- Let it simmer until the oil separates from the gravy.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with naan.
- Paneer – Indian Cottage Cheese available in all Indian grocery stores in frozen aisle. Its sold as a bar or pre cubed and partially fried.
- Canned tomatoes – Available in regular supermarkets, diced, crushed or whole tomatoes can be used.
- Half & Half – Available in all supermarkets in the dairy aisle. This is half cream and half milk. Gives nice creamy texture to the gravy.
- Kasuri Methi – Dry Fenugreek leaves available in small packets in all Indian grocery stores. Known as Methi leaves.
- Red Chili Powder, Coriander powder, Garam Masala powder, Turmeric powder is available in small packs in Indian stores.
- If using regular fresh tomatoes look for real ripe ones orelse the gravy would taste sour.