Kumbakonam Kadappa – Thanjavur Kadappa Kuzhambu – Kadappa Chutney – is a special type of kurma / chutney that is served as an accompaniment to Idlis and Kal Dosas in and around Thanjore District. These are very popular around Kumbakom, Mayavaram surroundings and every petty restaurant /hotel/ road side shop carry this item which is not only enjoyed by locals but also preferred by visitors to these towns. Some call it chutney while some go with sambar but mostly they are termed as Thanjavur Kadappa, which is primarily a kurma preparation with potato but includes lentils and resembles a thick coconut stew. My in-laws are settled in Thanjore and I owe a big thanks for introducing this scrumptious gravy…. her recipe is basically yellow moong, mashed potato, coconut base without turmeric and chilli powder.
Ingredients to grind - Coconut base
- 1/2 cup Grated coconut or 5 badhai / pieces
- 3 each Green Chilli spicy
- 2 teaspoon Poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 2 each Cloves
- 1 each Cardamom
- 1 one inch stick Cinnamon
Ingredients - for gravy
- 1/4 cup Split Yellow Moong dal / Pachai paruppu/ Pasi paruppu soak for 15 minutes
- 1 small Potato
- 1/2 cup Mixed veggies carrot, beans purely optional
- 1 cup Onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 1/4 cup Tomatoes chopped
- 2 each Green chilli slit open
- 2 teaspoons Coriander powder
- 1 each Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons Coriander leaves for garnish
- 5 each Curry leaves chopped for garnish
- 1 & 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- Soak yellow moong dal for 15 minutes, wash and pressure cook till soft along with desired veggies with potato being the mian veggie.
- Make a thick paste using coconut, green chilli, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, cloves, cinnamon & cardamom. Keep this aside.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan, splutter the cumin seeds and toast the bay leaf.
- Add the chopped onion and green chili and fry till translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and tomatoes and cook till slightly soft.
- Now add coriander powder and saute well till the oil separates.
- Dilute the mashed dal with 1 cup of water and add it to the masala along with cooked lightly mashed veggies, ground coconut paste and salt.
- Bring it to one boil and simmer for 5 minutes over low flame.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and curry leaves. Serve with steaming hot idlis, kal dosais, iddiyappam or appam.
Some of the variations for this gravy….. is adding pottukadalai in the place of poppy seeds, making with plain mashed potatoes, adding turmeric to give a light yellowish tinge.
Grind all ingredients from table-1 ( green chili + coconut + poppy seeds + fennel seeds + cloves + cardamom + cinnamon ) using little water to fine paste and keep aside.
Soak split green gram for few minutes, wash and pressure cook till soft and keep aside. Boil the cubed veggies (potato + carrot + beans) and keep aside. Try our simple VEGETABLE STEW
Primarily potatoes are used, additional veggies are optional. I did pressure cook yellow moong along with 1 whole potato.
You may either cube it or mash it roughly… Try our MINT LEAVES KURMA
Heat oil in a sauce pan, splutter the cumin seeds and toast the bay leaf.
Add the chopped onion and green chili and fry till translucent.
Add the ginger garlic paste and tomatoes and cook till slightly soft.
Now add coriander powder and saute with the onion till the oil separates. (absolutely no red chilli powder in this recipe) Try our CHETTINAD VELLAI KURMA
Raw coriander powder has a strong smell to it, so fry them along with the onion mixture until that raw smells settles.
Add the mashed dal along with cooked veggies.
Dilute it with 1/2 cup water.
Bring it to a boil and then simmer.
Now you may add in the ground coconut paste along with salt.
Simmer for 5 minutes over low flame. Garnish with fresh coriander and curry leaves. Serve with steaming hot idlis, kal dosais, iddiyappam and appam.
- Traditional kadappa is made with just potato and lentil in coconut gravy, which looks pale white as it does not include turmeric, chili powder and any other sour content like curd, tomatoes and lemon juices.
- Carrot & Beans are not included in traditional recipe but its just my personal preference to include. You may skip it!
- Turmeric powder is added for little color, you may skip it. The color of the kadappa will look pale white if you skip it.
- Serves 4 adults approx.
- Thanjore Brahmin community also prepare the same dish but excluding onion and garlic.