|½ cup||Fresh grated coconut|
|2 tsp||Poppy seeds|
|2 tsp||Split roasted gram/pottukadalai|
|1 no||Green chili|
|2 nos||Cloves (karambu)|
|2 nos||Cinnamon stick (very small)|
|2 nos||Onion (finely chopped)|
|3 nos||Green chili (slit open )|
|½ tsp||Ginger garlic paste|
|2 cup||Mixed vegetables|
|2 tsp||Coriander /dhania powder|
|2 tsp||Salt (or to taste)|
|2 nos||Bay leaf|
|2 nos||Black stone flower (optional)|
|¼ tsp||Cumin seed|
|¼ tsp||Fennel seeds|
|8 nos||Curry leaves|
|4 stks||Coriander leaves (chopped for garnishing)|
Lets see how to make this hotel kurma…
Paste : Using ingredients from Table -1 (Coconut + Cinnamon + Cloves + Cardamom + Green chili + Cashew + Poppy Seeds + Split roasted gram) grind to fine paste adding little water.
Choice of Mixed vegetables: Include your usual carrot, beans, peas and potato. Also include my selection (20 mini cube cuts) from Chow Chow and Bottle gourd. (Try with pumpkin or any squash or yam). Cube the veggies in the same size to give an even look.
Kurma preparation: In a pan, heat oil and ghee. Toast the bay leaf along with curry leaves, black stone flower, cumin and fennel seeds. Add the finely chopped onions, green chilies and fry till golden and crispy. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for few seconds to take away the raw smell. Now add the cubed veggies, coriander powder and 1 cup of water. Cover and let cook over medium flame for 6 to 7 minutes or until they are cooked through fully. (Alternate way to cook this is would be in the pressure cooker, just for 1 whistle) When done add yogurt (diluted or beaten with little water to avoid curdling) ground paste and salt. Bring it one boil and simmer, slowly add milk and stir, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with parotta or idiyappam.
- Absolutely no tomatoes, red chili powder and turmeric in this kurma. It derives sourness and tanginess from yogurt. Turmeric is optional when included adds colour. Spice level is adjusted with green chilies.
- Chapati Kurma or parotta kurma : Include pinch turmeric and little chili powder for colour. (optional)
- Idiyappam Kurma: This has to be pale white and no turmeric or chili powder.
- Yield: Serve 4 adults approx. Adjust consistency with water or little coconut milk.
- Source: Learned from a cook who does catering for marriages.