Chicken 555 Gravy – a restaurant specialty which i came to know recently in one of the outlets here…that Andhra style dry version of chicken 555 is all over the net but gravy is something that you don’t see anywhere 🙄 well, figured it myself… tried my best to match what i had and it turned great!
Its more like a butter masala / tikka kind of gravy but with 65 style chicken added to it with cream and butter… made extra spicy with chilies and the mixed punch from Chaat & Tandoori masala! Yes, its greasy, rich & unhealthy…. but tastes out of the world! 🙂 😛
Ingredients for Marinade
- Chicken (Boneless) – 1 pound (1/2 kg)
- Store bought Tandoori Masala – 2 tablespoons
- Store bought Chaat Masala – 1/2 teaspoon
- Kashmir Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Corn starch – 3 tablespoons
- Maida – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon (adjust**see notes)
- Orange food color – a pinch (optional)
- MSG – a pinch (optional)
- Oil – 2 cups (for deep frying)
Ingredients for Gravy
- Onion – 1 cup (finely minced)
- Tomato puree – 1 cup
- Green Chilies – 4 (finely minced)
- Ginger – 1 teaspoon (finely minced)
- Garlic – 6 (finely minced)
- Fresh methi leaves – 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
- Kashmir chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Kasuri methi – 1 teaspoon (crushed)
- Salt – 3/4 teaspoon (or to taste)
- Butter – 2 tablespoons
- Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Cream – 2 tablespoons (you can use thick milk instead)
- Coriander leaves – a few for garnish
- Extra butter – if needed to make it rich
- MSG – a pinch (optional)
- Food Color – a pinch (optional)
Lets see how to make this Chicken 555 Gravy….
Cut boneless chicken into bite size pieces… and mix all the ingredients from Table-1 (store bought tandoori masala(any chicken masala works) + Chaat masala + kashmir chilli powder + turmeric powder + coriander powder + salt + msg + ginger garlic paste + lemon juice + corn starch + maida) except the oil. Try our CRISPY CHICKEN 65
Mix everything well until coated evenly and let it sit for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Heat oil in a kadai and start frying them over medium flame … until crisp.
Many add egg & yogurt to this but i am skipping as it makes it more moist and soggy, i like to keep this fried chicken little crispy.
Deep fry and keep them ready.
Reserve the leftover marinade…for use in gravy. Lets move on to the gravy preparation.
Heat that butter in a pan.. add in cumin seeds and let it sizzle a bit.Add in those methi leaves… adding fresh methi leaves actually makes a difference it taste… in a good way though 🙂 if you cant find then go ahead and use dry methi leaves… it won’t hurt! Try our KAJU MURGH
Followed by all those minced stuff…. onion, green chili, ginger and garlic.
Add little sugar and salt.
Fry them all till they get crispy… as shown. (this step is important, the onion should be crispy like fried onions)
Just use tomato puree or make it yourself… add a little of the fried onion mixture to the pure and pulse.
Add the puree mix to the remaining fried onion mixture.
Add in the reserved marinade to this.
Add in dried kasuri methi leaves, kashmir chili powder and salt at this stage.
Let the gravy cook a bit then followed by thick milk / cream (you can choose what you like… cream makes it more rich) (adding msg & food color at this stage is optional)
The gravy should simmer over medium flame to thicken for few minutes.
Add int he fried chicken pieces to the gravy. Try our CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA WRAPS
Add in extra spoon of butter to the simmering chicken masala.
Cover and cook over low flame for 10 minutes.
Ta-da.. its all done, that cream and melted butter separates and floats on top. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and finish!
Serves few lucky ones 😛 may be 3 to 4
Cream can make it more rich… so i have used thick milk. You can if you like.