Tawa Chicken – I am a big fan of rottu kadai (highway eateries) foods be it veg or non-veg crave them and make it a point to try a few different ones during my trip to India. This recipe is one such trials… a simple tawa or kadai chicken fry made with tandoori masala, a quick chicken stir fry with few veggies made spicy with chilies and lot of garnish – pan fried. You can use any chicken masala powder or simple garam masala powder…i decide to use tandoori masala which has every aspect of street style (dhaba style) ingredients which gives the taste and look. Try it for yourself!
- Chicken – 1 kg or (2 pounds)
- Onion – 1 cup (diced)
- Green Capsicum – 1 cup (diced)
- Green Chili – 4 (slit open)
- Tomato – 1 small
- Garlic – 5 crushed
- Ginger – 1 tablespoon (minced)
- Black pepper powder – 1 tablespoon (freshly ground)
- Curry leaves – 10 leaves
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves – 2 tablespoons (chopped)
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Sugar – 1 pinch
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
Ingredients for marinade
- Tandoori Masala Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Yogurt – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Kashmir Chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon (tandoori masala has salt so adjust)
Lets see how to make this Tawa Chicken…
Clean the chicken and marinate with yogurt, lemon juice, tandoori masala, ginger garlic paste, kashmir chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. (Store bought tandoori masala / chicken masala powder already has salt… so add only a little) Let this sit in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Heat oil in a wide tawa or pan, season with cumin seeds and curry leaves. Try our Dhaba Style Green Peas Masala
Saute onions, capsicum, crushed garlic and green chilies.. with a pinch of sugar for few minutes.
I have used this brand Tandoori masala… you may use any brand, Achi chilli chicken masala powder is equally good too. Add the marinated chicken pieces at this stage.
Saute the chicken along with the onion mixture.. over high flame. Try our Fish Tikka
Saute till the chicken cooks thoroughly… check for salt at this stage and add if needed.
Now add the chopped tomatoes… along with minced ginger and freshly ground coarse black pepper powder. Saute over high flame… and switch off!
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves… a squeeze of lemon if you like! All done & all yours! Roll it up with some Paneer Paratha
- Serves – 4
- Boneless chicken preferred for this recipe.. but small pieces with bones works too.
- I have used kisna Tandoori Masala which is mild, with flavor and color. You may use any chicken masala powder or simply use ( chilli powder + garam masala powder + food color)
- Coarsely ground fresh black pepper powder matters… so pls use coarse powder.
- Try our Varatha Kozhi Kari Kaju Murgh Chicken Tikka Masala Wrap