Kadai Vegetables recipe – How to make kadai vegetables – Easy kadai vegetables gravy – is a colorful medley of vegetables in rich creamy gravy often served as a side for chapati, roti, paratha or pulao.
Ingredients - to make base gravy paste
- 1.5 cups onion chopped
- 3/4 cup tomatoes chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 each green chilli long, hot variety
- 1/2 cup fenugreek leaves (fresh) see notes for other options
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 each cloves
- 1 each cardamom green
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
Ingredients - for sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups assorted mixed veggies onion, cauliflower, broccoli, colored peppers
- 10 cubes paneer
- 1/2 cup half & half or heavy cream see notes for other options
- 1 tsp honey see notes for other options
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder hot variety
- 1/2 tsp kashmir red chilli powder for color
- 1.5 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 pinch sugar for veggies
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (optional) for garnish
- Saute those fresh veggies in a teaspoon of oil along with a pinch of sugar until they become soft but firm. Once done, set aside.
- In the same pan, heat oil & butter. Saute chopped onions, tomato, green chili, ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and fenugreek leaves until slightly browned. Let cool completely.
- Grind the sauteed mixture to a fine paste and keep that aside.
- Heat butter and oil in a pan, saute the ground paste along with turmeric powder, red chili powder, kashmir chilli powder, coriander powder and salt until the raw smell goes away.
- Once the base turns thick and oozes oil, add in the cooked veggies and saute along. Add paneer cubes if you intend to include.
- Add in honey and cream at this stage and simmer for few minutes until desired consistency. Garnish and switch off.
Some similar gravy dish to try
Assorted vegetables : Pick whichever you or your family like. My choices are onion, green and red bell pepper, cauliflower, broccoli plus bonus… Paneerrrrr 🙂 Make HOMEMADE PANEER You may also make it much more healthy bu using carrot, beans, green peas, potato etc. Firm veggies like carrot potato green beans needs to be steamed longer… so if using any of these please steam them separately and add to the gravy. Colored capsicum, cauliflower and broccoli cooks much faster and can be pan fried.
Saute those fresh veggies in a tsp of oil with a pinch of sugar to keep their color intact. Let them cook until they become soft but firm. Do not over cook, they have be be crisp when adding to the gravy. This is one great dish to include those no no veggies like broccoli… kids will eat if served in creamy sauces. Once done keep them aside.
In the same pan, heat butter and oil. Saute chopped onions, tomato, green chili, ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and fresh fenugreek leaves (check notes) until slightly browned. Let cool completely.
Now grind the sauteed mixture to a fine paste in a mixie and set aside. Try our KADAI MUSHROOM MASALA
Again heat oil and butter in the pan. Saute the ground paste adding turmeric powder, red chili powder, kashmir red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
Keep frying the whole thing over medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes. If adding food colour then this might be a good stage. Either orange or red colouring or even kesari colour is ok too. Adding food color is optional.
Add saute-id veggies, honey and half and half milk or heavy cream (see notes) at this stage.
Add paneer and let it simmer for few minutes, garnish and switch off. Adjust gravy consistency by adding more cream or half and half.
Good side for Chapathi, Ghee rice, Plain basmati rice, Any pulav , Veg Biryani. We had this curry with Mint pulav and potato chips. What’s going to be your combo??
- Half & Half – its nothing but half cream half milk sold here in USA (kind of thick milk with more cream) You may either use this or use heavy cream to make your gravy rich.
- If making low fat version then grind few cashew o almond or poppy seeds with regular low fat milk and add it your gravy.
- Fenugreek leaves – I have used fresh fenugreek leaves for my gravy as its good for you… for a quick alternative try using dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi leaves) use only 1 tablespoon if using dry leaves.
- Food color is optional.