Corn Butter Masala – Creamy, Buttery Gravy made with Sweet corn… a rich chunky gravy that works best as a side for chapathi, Garlic lacha paratha, naan or kulcha. Some super soft chapathi… shapeless though 😀 where paired with this corn curry for our dinner with leftovers packed for lunch! There are a quite a lot of variations to making this Corn Gravy… you may make the same with baby corn or sweet corn kernels… make it with fresh cream or half & half…my version here includes little butter(a little though) 2% milk cashew and poppy seeds which gives the desired richness to the gravy! Lets get into making this scrumptious side dish….
- Fresh Sweet Corn Kernels – 1 cup
- Onion – 2 cups (finely minced)
- Green Chili – 4 (slit open)
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Tomato – 1 cup (chopped)
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Kasuri Methi leaves – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Kashmir Red Chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon (kosher)
- Sugar or Honey – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Water – 1 cup
- Coriander leaves – a few for garnish
Ingredients for blending
- 2 % Milk or low fat – 1/2 cup
- Cashews – 4
- Poppy seeds – 1 teaspoon
Lets see how to make this Corn Butter Masala….
Heat oil in a pan… season with some cumin seeds. Try our… BABY CORN MANCHURIAN
Now comes in minced onions and green chili. Saute them over medium flame with a pinch of salt. This process is the key to a creamy gravy… so a little patience required. Saute the onions till lightly golden & browned.
Now add in the ginger garlic paste and saute well till browned a bit.
Add in the fresh corn kernels along with kasuri methi leaves (dry fenugreek leaves) and saute well.
Followed by all of these.. chopped toamtoes, turmeric powder, kashmir chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, suga and salt. Saute for few seconds.
Add in a cup of water to the mixture. Bring the flame to low medium.
Now cover with ta tight lid and cook for 10 minutes…. shhhhh, do not disturb! The corn needs to cook a bit, don’t worry it will not turn mushy! Meanwhile blend the milk, cashew and poppy seeds to a thin consistency and keep it ready.
When the gravy is cooked with corn add in the milk cashew poppy seeds blend and simmer.
Now comes our hero…. “Butter” a good quality irish butter sounds right for this recipe. Add how much you think is ok and simmer and switch off!
Garnish with coriander leaves and finish!
- Serves 4
- You may use baby corn or sweet corn kernels for this recipe.
- Cream is not necessary but for a very rich gravy… add a tablespoon of fresh cream.
- How about trying SWEET CORN SUNDAL CORN PULAO SWEET CORN CHICKEN SOUP SWEET CORN DOSA SCHEZWAN CHICKEN N BABYCORN FRY