Varutha Kozhi Kari – our home style spicy chicken varuval, normally a usual on sundays but do show up during weekdays as a side for simple rasam sadam. This is a semi thick… not so gravy type dish at the same time not so dry either, lets call it somewhere between the two. Guess no one cares as long as its tasty… lets get straight to the recipe. If you really like this dish… do send me a love note under comments 🙂
This version is slightly spicy.. so adjust the number of red chilies that you add to suit your needs. There are quite a lot of ➡ chicken recipes in our page, do check it out!
Ingredients for masala powder
- Dry Red Chilli – 5
- Coriander seeds – 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Black peppercorns – 1 teaspoon
- Bay leaf – 1 small leaf
- Cinnamon – 1/2 inch stick
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom – 2
- Black stone flower / Kalpasi – 1 petal
- Poppy seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Roasted gram – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh coconut – 2 tablespoons *(check notes)
Ingredients for Gravy
- Chicken – 1 kg or 2 pounds
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Green chilli – 1 (spicy)
- Onion – 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 /2 cup
- Ginger – 2 inch piece (crushed)
- Garlic – 8 cloves (crushed)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 6
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup for garnish
- Salt – 1 teaspoon (kosher/kallu uppu)
- Oil – 4 tablespoons
Try out our…
Lets see how to make this Varutha Kozhi Kari…..
In a pan dry roast all the ingredients from table – 1. You need to dry roast over low flame… because some may turn brown soon especially poppy seeds. If you have the patience you can roast them separate… i did everything together till they turn light brown. Once done, let them cool completely.
Make a fine powder using a mixer jar. Grind as much as you can to make it a fine powder. Keep this ready.
In another wide pan… heat oil, season with cumin seeds and few curry leaves. Now add in chopped onion, green chili, crushed ginger and garlic. Saute well over low medium flame. The onions has to cook thoroughly over medium flame until light golden and crisp.
Now add in turmeric powder, chicken and little sprinkle of salt. Saute well to mix everything.
Now cover with lid and cook for 5 minutes over low medium flame. The chicken will release water and it will cook in that steam.
When done, dump the ground spice powder along with tomatoes and the remaining salt. (SN: pls use kosher or kallu uppu to make it tasty)
Saute well until masala blends with the chicken. If you have more bony parts or red meat then cover again and cook further until the chicken gets cooked thoroughly. (Do not add any water)
When done… garnish with chopped coriander and curry leaves. Switch off.
All done! now you need to make hot idli, dosa or chapathi to go with it!
- Serves 4
- I have used fresh coconut pallu (pieces) they are tiny coconut pieces or you can use grated instead.
- Do not add any water to the mixture it has to cook with the water from chicken and tomatoes. The gravy should be semi thick.
- Vegetarians can use mushroom and bell pepper combo for the same gravy.