Sweet Corn Chicken soup – sweet corn kernels added to regular soup base seasoned with salt and pepper. Most popular pick from such corn soups is Indo-Chinese creamed style soup, which is first sort for most of us as a starter from Chinese restaurant menus… Here’s my style of Sweet Corn Chicken Soup… though not an exact match but close enough to that of Adyar Waldorf Restaurant, Chennai. I’ve used ready made cream style corn to make it easy and quick, you can also make with fresh sweet corns from packs or cooked corn. This is one such dish which I prepare when i make Chinese style food at home. They are great just as such or can be served as a starter … really a good starter for any parties or weekend get togethers…
Some Indo Chinese recipes to try…
|2 cups||Chicken stock|
|½ cup||Chicken (cooked and shredded)|
|2 medium size||Egg whites (from 2 eggs)|
|2 Tablespoons||Corn flour / starch|
|3 Tablespoons||Cream style corn with kernels or (fully cooked fresh corn)|
|2 pinch||Black pepper powder|
|2 pinch||(or to taste)|
|1 pinch||Ajinomoto (optional) or use few drops of sherry or rice vinegar/ white vinegar|
|2 Tablespoons||Spring onions (finely chopped)|
|1 pinch||Sugar (optional) (add if the corn kernels are not that sweet)|
The following items are a must to prepare this soup
1. Sweet corn kernels – Buy a canned product or look for fresh sweet corn on cob. If using fresh corn, separate the corn from cob and pressure cook until soft (about 2-3 whistles for tender soft kernels) or boil over stove top method for 15 minutes or more until soft or microwave for 5 minutes over high power setting)
2. Creamed Corn – Either buy cream style canned corn as shown or make a paste out of the pressure cooked corn.
3. Chicken Stock – Store bought chicken stock or consomme or cubes will work. I prefer fresh homemade stock. For basic chicken stock, heat up 3 cups of water with cubed onions(1), carrots(1), beans(3), celery(1), few cloves, minced ginger(1″), crushed garlic(2), Chicken parts(bones, neck, legs, thighs and some meat), peppercorns and salt. Pressure cook upto 3 whistles, let the steam release, filter the stock and keep aside.
4. Corn flour – White corn flour / Corn starch
5. MSG / Ajinomoto – Wouldn’t say it is a must but if you’re looking for some Mings or Wangs kitchen style soup better go for it. Rice vinegar / Rice wine / Dry sherry can be used or add a pinch of sugar & white pepper powder.
6. Eggs – Most restaurants here include both yolk and whites, but as far as my preparation goes its purely made with egg whites. In my conception, only clear egg drop soup should include both and cream style corn soup should always be made with egg whites.
Mix creamed corn in water, add chicken stock ,shredded chicken, ajinomoto and bring it a boil. (Add vinegar / sherry /sugar) at this stage if want to substitute ajinomoto.
Mix corn flour in 4 tablespoons of cold water to make a thick solution.
Add this to the boiling soup. When it starts to bubble and thicken, add the egg whites as you stir. (You need to keep on stirring while adding egg whites orelse they will form big lumps.
We need little flaky cooked egg white consistency as shown in the picture).
Season with salt and pepper, garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot.
- Serves 3 adults approx
- Creamed corn is available in most super markets and if you don’t fine then make a paste with cooked corn kernels. (make a paste using about 2 tablespoons of cooked corn in a blender or mixer)
- White corn flour if different from yellow, the one used here is white corn starch.
- You may use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- Whole eggs can be used but will change the color of the soup and may taste strong.