Pottukadalai / Split roasted gram / roasted channa / Split roasted Chickpeas can be used in a variety of chutney preparations. Here is a recipe using it with onion, tomato and coconut.
|Ingredients-1||for roasting and grinding|
|1/4 cup||Split roasted gram/pottukadalai|
|1/4 cup (chopped)||Onion|
|1/4 cup (chopped)||Tomato|
|6 (long)||Dry Red chilli|
|1/2 cup||Fresh grated coconut|
|1 Marble Sz||Tamarind|
|1 pinch||Asafoetida powder|
|1/2 teaspoon||Salt (or to taste)|
|1/4 teaspoon||Split black gram|
|1||Dry red chilli|
Lets see how to make this Pottukadalai Chutney….
- Heat oil from table-1, fry onions, dry red chillies and garlic for few minutes.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn tender.
- Add the split roasted gram and coconut; toss for few seconds.
- Let this cool completely.
- Grind this mixture along with curry leaves (table-1), tamarind, asafoetida, salt and water to a thick consistency.
- Now heat oil from (table-2) splutter mustard, split black gram, dry red chilli and curry leaves. Add this seasoning to the chutney and mix.
- Serve it as a side for Idli Dosai!
- Serves 3 to 4
- You may use green chillies in the place of red chilli
- Garlic can be more if you like garlicy flavor… make sure you fry them really well to get rid of the raw smell.