Muttai Varuval has no limitations… infinite possibilities with just simple boiled eggs. These are quick spicy stir fry with colored peppers, boiled eggs and black pepper a lunch box favorite of mine that goes well with sambar, rasam or curd rice. You can even skip the capsicum and make it plain but little vibrant veggies it gets a colorful appeal and you get the satisfaction of eating your daily dose of veggies 🙂
To be honest, this is very spicy dish and those capsicum gives a sweet balance to the dish, you may reduce the number of chilies and black pepper blend to make it less spicy.
- Boiled eggs – 5 (halved)
- Onion – 1 cup (sliced lengthwise)
- Capsicum – 1/2 cup (thinly sliced) (Green & Red)
- Green Chilli – 3 (slit open)
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 10 leaves
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam Masala – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 3/4 teaspoon or to taste
- Sugar – 1 pinch
- Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Coriander leaves – 2 teaspoons (chopped)
Spice Blend – to grind
- Black pepper corns – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
Lets see how to make this Muttai Varuval…
Heat oil in a wide pan, sizzle cumin seeds and curry leaves.
Add in green chillies, sliced onions & ginger garlic paste. Saute over medium flame till the onion and ginger garlic cooks a bit.
Now add in turmeric powder and the spice blend (grind black pepper, cumin & fennel to a coarse texture) to the onion mixture. Saute for few seconds.
add in the colored peppers (I have used green and red capsicum) which will give nice contrast in terms of color and touch of sweetness in terms of taste. Add in salt and that pinch of sugar at this stage and saute well over high flame for few seconds. (Do not saute long as the color of the capsicum will go away and also the veggie will turn mush)
Add in that garam masala at this stage & saute.
Bring the flame to low, place the eggs over the mixture (cut side down) and cook for few seconds.
Lightly coast the masala and garnish with coriander leaves and switch off!
Some egg recipes to try…
- Egg Pepper Fry
- Muttai omelette kuzhambu
- Scrambled Egg Kurma
- How to make perfect Boiled eggs
- Egg salna
- Serves 4
- All masala has to be ground raw… it gives and different flavor compared to roasted spices.
- Capsicum is optional but gives that sweet balance to this spicy dish.
- You may also add in few mushrooms for a variation.
- Using freshly smashed garlic and ginger will give nice taste and texture compared to paste.