Egg kurma is a simple dish which goes very well as a side for chapati, idli dosa or even for any kind of mild pulao or biryani. It takes varies forms… we either add boiled egg to the gravy or cook the whole egg in the gravy or scramble the egg mixture with the gravy or add mini omelette to the gravy. Whichever way you cook, its made with coconut milk which adds immense flavor and creamy texture and pairs well with rice/roti or breakfast dishes idli, dosa, poori, idiyappams or appams. I’ve already shared few egg kurma dishes like Egg Kuzhambu , Muttai Omelette Kuzhambu, Egg Kurma, and this one is using scrambled egg…
EGG CURRY RECIPE / SCRAMBLED EGG KURMA RECIPE / HOW TO MAKE EGG CURRY? / HOW TO EGG KURMA? / EGG GRAVY WITH COCONUT MILK / EGG RECIPES / SIDE DISH RECIPES / EGG GRAVY RECIPES / EGG KORMA RECIPE / EGG KUZHAMBU / BREAKFAST SID DISH RECIPES / NON VEGETARIAN GRAVIES / EGG / BLACK STONE FLOWER / KALPASI / MUTTAI KURMA RECIPE
|Onion||1 cup (finely chopped)|
|Tomato||1/2 cup (chopped)|
|Green Chili||1 (slit open)|
|Ginger Garlic paste||1 teaspoon|
|Whole Garam Masala||1 Bay leaf + 3 Cloves + 2 Cinnamon sticks + 1 Cardamom +1 Black stone flower|
|Cumin Seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Red Chili Powder||1 teaspoon|
|Coriander Powder||1 & 1/2 teaspoons|
|Salt||1 & 1/2 teaspoons (or to taste)|
|Ghee||1 teaspoon (optional)|
|Curry leaves||5 leaves|
|Coriander leaves||a few (for garnish, optional)|
|Ingredients – for grinding|
|Fresh Grated Coconut||1 cup|
|Fennel seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Water||1 + 1/2 cup|
|Warm water||1/2 cup|
To start with– grind the fresh grated coconut with fennel seeds. Now once its ground to a thick paste, add warm water to it and mix. Now squeeze out the thick coconut milk using a fine mesh sieve. Keep this thick coconut milk ready before you start with the gravy.
Heat oil and ghee in a pan and splutter all the whole garam masalas- bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and black stone flower along with cumin seeds. (Please refer notes for options)
Add the chopped onions along with ginger garlic paste and green chili and fry till translucent and then add the chopped tomatoes. Saute till the tomatoes become soft.
Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt. Fry till the oil separates.
Make sure the masala is fried really well to get rid of the raw smell. Once the it gets cooked well, you will see the oil separating from it. Make sure you saute over medium high flame and stir constantly to avoid burning.
Now add 1 cup water the masala.
Bring the flame to low, cover with lid and cook the gravy for 5 minutes.
Once done, the gravy will thick a bit as shown.
While the gravy simmering, beat two egg with a pinch of salt and keep it ready.
Slowly add the beaten egg to the simmering gravy and stir gently as you pour. (Do not stir too much- we want chunks, just a gentle stir will do)
Now do not disturb the gravy, let the egg cook a bit- you may see they plump up here and there. Make sure the gravy is cooked over low medium flame to ensure its cooked thoroughly.
After few minutes, you will the egg cooked fully and the gravy becomes thick.
Slowly add the freshly squeezed thick coconut milk.
Simmer for few minutes over low flame. (Make sure the flame is really low, cooking over high flame will curdle the coconut milk)
Switch off and garnish with curry leaves and coriander leaves. Serve hot with chapatis or Idli or dosa!
- Serves 3 adults
- Using whole garam masala gives fresh taste to the gravy compared to ready made garam masala powder. You may use 3/4 teaspoon garam masala in the place of whole masala if you wish.
- Black Stone flower is kalpasi / Dagad Phool (Pathar Phool) is an exotic spice which is often used in chettinad cuisine and adds tons of flavor. Most Indian stores sells this is I use it in most of the veg or non veg gravies which call for whole gram masala. Refer this page ENSPICELOPEDIA
- Always make sure you cook the gravy over low medium flame especially when you add the eggs. Do not disturb too much by constantly stirring. A gentle stir to spread the egg mixture will do the trick.
- Coconut milk when cooking in high flame will separate the cream, so make sure you simmer over low flame while adding the coconut milk.
- We always add a little fennel while adding coconut to any non veg dish, its adds a fresh flavor to the dish, do try it!