Mixed Vegetable Palya – The term “Palya” in Kannada refers to dry bhaji / Subji / Stir-fry / Poriyal /Thoran / Vepudu. Here is an unusual combination of vegetables stir-fried and uplifted with fennel dalia powder making it palette friendly. Will this combination (Broccoli + Baby Soy beans + Green Peas +Carrot) work for you?
- Edamame – 10
- Carrot – 1 (diced)
- Green peas – 1/2 cup
- Broccoli florets – 10
- Onion – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (crushed)
- Dry red chili – 2
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Split black gram – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 5
- Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
Ingredients – 2
- Pottukadalai / Dalia / Roasted gram – 3 teaspoons
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh or desiccated Coconut – 2 tablespoons
For the spice powder: Grind dry dessicated coconut, fennel seeds and split roasted gram(Dalia) to a coarse powder and keep aside. Do not powder too fine, just use the pulse setting for couple of times.
Quick blanching: I decided to give a quick blanching of all the above veggies. Heat 3 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Now add all the chopped veggies (include the edamame with pods) and boil for 3 minutes. When done, drain and immerse them in cold water. Drain again and keep aside. You can remove the edamame seeds from the pod and keep along with the other veggies.
For the Palya: Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard, cumin seeds, red chili, split black gram and curry leaves. Sprinkle asafoetida, add the onions and garlic and fry till translucent. Now add the blanched veggies, along with turmeric and salt. Cook for 3 minutes over medium flame or until it becomes dry, loosing all the water content. Switch off and then sprinkle the ground powder and finish the dish. Serve as a side with any rice item or plain roti.
- Yield: Serves 4
- You may use green chili on the place of red chilli.
- You may choose any veggie combo for this recipe and it will still taste good.
Some Keerai Poriyal recipes to try from our page…