Noolkol Poriyal – i just love this humble veggie… they call it kohlrabi here and back home we call it knol khol…super markets here have them soooo fresh along with the leafy top…that you may want a take a bite right away! Well, there are quite a few ways to enjoy this veggie, easiest of all is to make a poriyal, tastes like cabbage 🙂
- Noolkol / Kohlrabi / Knol Khol – 2 cups (grated)
- Onion – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Green Chilli – 3 (slit open)
- Garlic – 3 (crushed)
- Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil – 1 teaspoon (for drizzle)
- Cooking oil – 2 teaspoons
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Split black gram – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – a few
Lets see how to make this noolkol poriyal…
Heat regular cooking oil in a pan and splutter mustard, split black gram and cumin seeds. Add in curry leaves and asafoetida.
Now add in chopped onion, green chilli and garlic. Fry till they become translucent.
Add in the grated kohlrabi/ noolkol and saute along with salt.
Cover and cook over very low flame for 10 minutes stirring in now and then. The veggie will become tender but will remain firm.
Once done drizzle coconut oil and switch off.
Finally add the grated coconut and mix.
Serve it as a side for any meal.
- Serves 4
- Adding turmeric is optional… i kind of like it white so skipped!
- If you like to try a gravy using this veggie… Kohlrabi Kurma