Raw Papaya Poriyal – Have you ever tried raw papaya stir fry?? then you should! Its packed with nutrients… tastes almost like knol khol stir fry… I am fan of ripe papaya fruit but this one not much… just make it point to include in our diet once a month as its a natural colon cleanser! Lets move on to the recipe.. just basic stuff, temper, saute and garnish! Some unique poriyal varieties to try from our page Cabbage Upkari, Chikkudukayakura , Vazhaipoo Poriyal, Collard Greens Poriyal
- Grated Raw Papaya – 2 cups
- Onion – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Green Chili – 2 (slit open)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon (or to taste)
- Oil – 2 teaspoons (preferably coconut oil)
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Split balck gram – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – a few
- Fresh grated coconut – 2 tablespoons
Lets see how to make this raw papaya poriyal….
Cut open the papaya, peel the skin off… discard the beautiful seeds from inside… aren’t they so cute? 🙂 Grate the flesh and keep it ready.
Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard, split black gram, cumin and curry leaves. Sprinkle little asafoetida..
Saute the onion and green chili for a little bit.
Add in the grated papaya and saute well along with turmeric powder, a little salt, onion and green chili.
Now sprinkle little water.. may be 3 tablespoons , cover and cook them over low flame for 15 minutes… stir in between to avoid burning.
When it gets cooked thoroughly.. adjust for salt and switch off. Garish with fresh grated coconut.
- Serves 3
- If you think your papaya is a little bitter… add a pinch of sugar while cooking.
- Try our non veg poriyal… Eral Keerai Poriyal