FENUGREEK LEAVES STIR FRY / METHI STIR FRY / METHI LEAVES FRY / DRY FRY / PORIYAL / SUBZI / PALYA / VENDHAYA KEERAI PORIYAL / GREENS STIR FRY / MENTHI KURA / KEERAI PORIYAL / SOUTH INDIAN VENDHAYA KEERAI PORIYAL / MENTHE / MENTE / ULUVA/ KURA/ SOUTH INDIAN SIDE DISH FOR RICE /HEALTHY RECIPES
|1 Big bunch||Fresh fenugreek leaves (about 3 cups packed tightly)|
|1 medium size||Onion (chopped) or 6 sambar or pearl onions|
|3 cloves||Garlic (crushed)|
|2 Tablespoon||Fresh grated coconut (or use dry desiccated coconut flakes ))|
|2 pinch||Turmeric powder|
|1 long||Dry red chili|
|¼ teaspoon||Mustard seeds|
|1/4 teaspoon||Split black gram / Ullundu|
|¼ teaspoon||Cumin seeds|
|¼ teaspoon||Asafoetida powder|
|4 leaves||Curry leaves|
|½ teaspoon||Salt (or to taste)|
Tender stalks of fenugreek are very much edible, so try to use them in the preparation. Cut off the hard stalks along with the roots and discard. Wash them thoroughly in cold water and rinse for a couple of times. Chop them finely and keep aside. Heat oil in a pan splutter mustard, split black gram, cumin seeds, dry red chili and curry leaves. Add the chopped onions and garlic, fry for a minute over medium flame.
- Sugar is mainly added to keep the leaf green even after wilting and to minimize the bitter flavor.
- Grated coconut is optional and is added to reduce the bitterness.
- You can also use almond flour for garnish instead of coconut.
- Garnishes like roasted crushed peanuts or coarsely crushed Dalia can also be used instead of coconut to make it more healthy.
- Serves 3 to 4 (approx), each bunch with 30 fenugreek stalks.