Karuveppilai Chicken Fry is a special chicken fry made with ground curry leaves masala, a popular chettinad pick!
|20 leaves||Curry leaves|
|6||Shallots (sambar onions finely chopped)|
|2 teaspoon||Black pepper corns|
|2||Green chili (small)|
|2||Dry red chili|
|2 teaspoons||Coriander leaves|
|1 inch||Cinnamon stick (small)|
|1&1/2 cup||Onion (chopped)|
|1/2 cup||Tomato (chopped)|
|1 lb||Chicken (1/2 kg approx, cut into small pieces)|
|2 teaspoon||Turmeric powder|
|2 teaspoons||Coriander /dhania powder|
|1 teaspoon||Curd (for marinating) or lemon juice|
|2 pinch||Turmeric (for marinating)|
|1 teaspoon||Salt (or to taste) kosher preferred|
|10 leaves||Curry leaves|
|1/2 teaspoon||Cumin seeds|
|1/2 teaspoon||Fennel seeds|
|3 teaspoons||Coriander leaves (chopped for garnishing)|
|2 tablespoons||Sesame oil|
Lets see how to make this Karuveppilai Chicken Fry….
Some prep work involved….1. Clean chicken and marinate with curd and turmeric, set aside for atleast 10 minutes.
2. Grind all ingredients from table-1 (Curry leaves, Shallots, ginger, garlic, black peppercorns, green chili, red chili, coriander leaves, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon) to a thick masala and keep aside.
3. Now heat oil in a deep sauce pan and splutter, mustard, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, bay leaf and curry l eaves.
4. Add the chopped onions and fry till golden.
5. Add the marinated chicken pieces along with chopped tomatoes.
6. Bring the flame down, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Do not add any water the juice from the tomatoes should cook them perfectly.
7. Now add turmeric powder, ground masala, coriander powder and salt. Fry until the masala turns dark brown or till the oil separates.
8. May take 5 to 6 minutes to thicken over medium flame. Add 1/2 cup water, if you wish to have the consistency slightly thin, or else it will look as shown in the picture.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
- Serves 3 – 4
- Sesame oil gives good aroma to this chicken. Any refined oil is ok too.
- Marinating in this recipe is mainly for tenderizing the chicken, so just give 10 minutes.
Some chicken recipes to try from our page….