Pepper Chicken Kuzhambu is a very simple south indian style chicken gravy… this is our home style gravy perfect for anyday anytime side dish for anything 🙂 Just too good with pipping hot idli, kal dosai, parotta, chapati, pulaos, biryani and even plain white rice.
Vegetarians…. can try this gravy with mushroom & green capsicum combo Yummo!
Some chicken gravy to try…
|1 pound||Chicken (1/2 kg approx, cut into small pieces)|
|2 cups||Onion (very finely minced) (sambar vengayam preferred)|
|1 cup||Tomato (finely chopped or crushed)|
|1 long||Green chilli (finely chopped)|
|2 teaspoons||Ginger garlic paste|
|10 leaves||Curry leaves|
|3 tablespoons||Coriander leaves (chopped)|
|1 big leaf||Bay leaf|
|1 + 1/2 teaspoon||Cumin seeds (use 1/2 tsp for tempering)|
|1/2 teaspoon||Fennel seeds|
|2 small sticks||Cinnamon sticks (1/4 inch each)|
|1 teaspoon||Poppy seeds|
|2 teaspoons||Red chilli powder (less spicy variety or kashmir chili)|
|3 teaspoons||Corrainder/dhania powder|
|1/2 teaspoon||Turmeric powder|
|3 teaspoons||Black pepper powder (freshly ground preferred)|
|1 teaspoon||Salt (or to taste)|
Lets see how to make this Pepper Chicken Kuzhambu
- Grind (1 teaspoon cumin seeds + 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds and 3 teaspoons black pepper + 2 small cinnamon sticks + 3 cloves + 1 cardamom + 1 tsp poppy seeds ) to make a fine powder. (All of these go raw and if you think 3 tsp black pepper is too much then reduce a little to suit your spice level) Keep this ready.
- Now, take a deep sauce pan , heat oil toast bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds and some curry leaves. Saute chopped onions & green chillies until golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste next and saute till the raw smell goes away.
- Followed by chopped tomatoes and cook till tender.
- Add in chicken pieces at this stage along with turmeric powder, red chilli powder, dhania powder, that black pepper masala mix and salt. Saute till it coats evenly and gets fried a bit.
- Add in little water, cover and cook for 20 minutes in very low flame. The chicken has to be cooked thoroughly and this time would be sufficient to cook all those with bones.
- Once you open the gravy will thicken, chicken will be cooked fully and the oil will separate on top.
- Keep simmering for few minutes, garnish with fresh curry and coriander leaves. Switch off and serve.
- Excellent side for paratha, hot idlis and kal dosais.