Kari Dosai – Dosa is one item which is something i can have any time of the day, its never a boring deal.. there is always a batch of batter in my refrigerator that saves me at the end of a busy work day. Sometimes i make it interesting by trying it with variety of toppings- this little kari dosai is one among them, is a whole meal in itself! They call it Madurai kari dosai- though been to Madurai a couple of times but never really tried this dish but had to chance to try it for the first time at Jacobs kitchen in Chennai, man… what a dish… it was like love at first sight, it was that amazing! Ever since its been a fav of mine and whenever there is leftover kari/ kheema/ mutton of any kind be it veg or non-veg this is the one i can think of…. you got to try this!
Some non veg recipes to try…
|Dosai Batter||1/4 cup or 1 big ladle|
|Mutton Kheema / Kari / Any leftover mutton or chicken curry(boneless)||2 Tablespoons|
|Egg||1 (beat with little salt & pepper)|
|Cumin seeds||1/4 teaspoon|
|Fennel seeds||1/4 teaspoon|
|Black peppercorns||1/4 teaspoon|
|Onion (preferably small sambar onions)||1 tablespoon (finely chopped)|
|Curry leaves||5 leaves (finely chopped)|
|Coriander leaves||1 tablespoon (finely chopped)|
Lets see how to make this Kari dosai..
To start with make a coarse powder with cumin, fennel & black peppercorns and keep aside. Finely chop onions, coriander and curry leaves.
Beat one egg with a pinch of salt and black pepper powder and keep it ready.
You can use any kind of leftover boneless mutton or chicken curry preferably of semi thick consistency. Minced mushroom curry suits in veg option. Mutton kheema suits best for this recipe. Check notes for recipe options for topping & sides
Heat a iron dosa tawa or any non stick fry pan works too.
Spread a ladle of dosa batter like a thick uttappam. We want the dosai to be thick, so do not spread a lot/ it should look more like a kal dosai. Let it slow cook over medium flame for few seconds.
Let it cook for the egg to set a bit. Drizzle oil around and on top of the dosai.
Now gently flip to the other side and let it cook for few seconds. (dosa made with iron pan / griddle will brown the dosa beautifully. I used non-stick and this is what it looks when you flip- pale white in color)
Now flip one more time and your kari dosai is ready! Serve it plain as its quite filling by itself or serve with onion raita / mutton kari/ chicken kari / salna
- The above recipe is for one serving. Try these toppings & sides Mutton Kheema , Chettinad Mutton Curry, Mutton Curry, Kudaimilagai Kozhi Varuval, Chicken Sukka, Dill Mushroom Masala, Chettinad Mushroom Masala, Chicken Salna
- Do not skip the cumin, fennel, pepper powder, it adds tons of flavor.
- Serve hot straight from the pan to plate- taste good that way!
- Typically this dosa is made with mutton kheema but works well with any boneless curry, just that the consistency of the curry should be thick.
- There is no veg version to this dish but you can skip egg and top it with mushroom or soya kheema curry for a veg version.