Chettinad Mushroom Masala Recipe / Mushroom Chettinad Recipe / Chettinad Recipes / Kalan Curry recipe / Karaikudi Chettinad Recipes / Kalpasi / White Button Mushroom Gravy / Chettinad Mushroom Gravy / How to make Chettinad Mushroom Masala? / காளான் கறி / Gravy recipe / Side dish for Chapati / Poori / Idli / Dosa / South Indian Side dish recipes / Gravy recipes / Mushroom Recipes
|Ingredients – Table -1|
|Dry Red Chili||3 (small) or 5 (long)|
|Coriander seeds||5 teaspoons|
|Black Peppercorns||1 teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Fennel seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Poppy seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Split roasted gram / pottukadalai/ dalia||1 teaspoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1 (one inch stick)|
|Mace flower / Jathipoo||1 petal|
|Star anise||1 petal|
|Nutmeg||1 pinch (powdered from fresh nutmeg)|
|Dry Coconut flakes / desiccated / Copra / Kopara Thengai||3 teaspoons|
|Ingredients- Table -2|
|Shallots / Pearl Onions/ Sambar Vengayam||15|
|Ginger||2 inch piece|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|White Button Mushrooms||6-7 (small) or 5 (large)|
|Tomato||1 large or (1/2 cup chopped)|
|Green chili||1 large (slit open) or 2 small|
|Black Stone Flower / Kalpasi||2- 3 petals or (1/2 tsp powdered)|
|Coriander leaves||1/4 cup chopped|
|Salt||1 teaspoon or to taste|
Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel, cut them into thin pieces and keep aside. Slice them vertically for a even look. I’ve used white button mushrooms for this recipe. Assemble all ingredients and start with the masala powder. Chettinad Masala powders have special ingredients which gives the unique taste to the dish. These ingredients (kalpasi / Nutmeg/ Mace / Fennel seeds) are a must for this recipe.
Dry roast the ingredients listed in Table- 1 except the coconut. Once the spices are roasted well, remove them from the pan and now add the coconut flakes and roast them until slightly golden. Let them all cool a bit. (If you are using copra then there is no need to roast)
Put all the spices and coconut powder in a spice blender/ mixer and powder them to fine texture. This is your dry masala powder. To this add the small onions, ginger, garlic, curry leaves & turmeric powder to the spice powder and grind to coarse texture. A few pulse in the mixer will be sufficient to chop the onions and ginger garlic. Keep this wet masala ready for the preparation.
In a kadai, heat oil and toast the bay leaves, kalpasi, green chili and some curry leaves. Now add the wet masala mixture and fry along for few minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and tomatoes at this stage and add one cup of water. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes over low flame.
Mushroom has the tendency to release water when cooked, so the gravy will be watery at this stage. Simmer till it reaches a semi-thick consistency- This process should take about 6-7 minutes over low flame for the oil to separate. Now garnish with chopped coriander and curry leaves and switch off. Serve as a side for Chapati / Roti / Pulao / Biryani. Goes well with steamin g hot idlis and kal dosai too!
- I’ve used white button mushroom for this recipe,use more if they are too small. You can use any kind.
- Sambar onion / small shallots are a must for this recipe. Try to use them, if using other variety then do not grind them raw. It will make the gravy bitter.
- If using regular big onions then use about 2 large onions, chop them and fry them in oil and then add the dry masala powder to it.
- To make it extra spicy add few red chilies.
- Check this page for list of spices with pictures Enspicelopedia
- This dish goes well plain, to make it non-veg throw in some boiled eggs.
- Poppy seeds & Split roasted gram is added to give thickness to the gravy.
- Adjust consistency- make it semi thick or slightly on the running side depending on your preference.
- Coconut milk can be added if you want more gravy.
Recipe updated with new pictures. For more Chettinad recipes