Egg Biryani – namma veetla we call it mutta 😉 biryani. There is already a version of egg biryani which i posted earlier and this one is a little closer to me, because its easy plus a quick one and rice cooker does the job perfectly. This dum style biryani is made with a timed rice cooker Zojirushi which yields the best flaky rice with flavors locked within.
Ingredients – 1
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Water – 3 & 1/2 cups
- Yogurt – 1/4 cup
Ingredients – 2
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Ghee- 2 tablespoons
- Bay leaf – 3
- Cinnamon – 2 small sticks
- Cloves – 5
- Star anise – 2
- Cardamom – 2
- Kalpasi – 2
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
Ingredients – 3
- Onion – 1 cup (sliced thin)
- Tomato – 1/4 cup
- Green chili – 4 (slit open)
- Ginger – 2 tablespoons (crushed)
- Garlic – 2 tablespoons (crushed)
- Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- Biryani Masala Powder – 3 teaspoons (I used Sakthi masala)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 2 & 1/2 teaspoons (kosher)
- Coriander leaves – 1/2 cup for garnish
- Ghee – 1 teaspoon for drizzle
Ingredients – 4 (for egg masala)
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Sliced onion – 1/2 cup
- Boiled eggs – 4
- Egg -1
- Bhajji maavu – 2 tablespoons
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
Lets see how to make this egg biryani…
Before we start… a few things to note.
- I am using a timed rice cooker which pre- soaks my rice with gravy and cooks it, taking about an hour to finish the entire process. If using regular rice cooker then you may have to soak your basmati rice for 30 minutes in the gravy and then put under cook mode.
- Hard boil four eggs and keep them separate. You may check how to make perfect boiled eggs
- I am using zojirushi electric rice cooker for this recipe… you may use also try cooking over stove top in a pan.
- I am using Indian Gate basmati rice, Shakthi Biryani Masala powder & Store bought Bhajji maavu for this recipe.
- If you don’t have Bhajji maavu…use 2 tablespoons Gram flour + 1 teaspoon rice flour + 1/2 teaspoon Red chili powder + little salt.
Heat oil & ghee in a pan, add all the garam masala from table- 2 and saute well.
Now add the sliced onion, green chili, ginger , garlic and mint leaves.
Saute well until the onions turn brown and crisp. It takes time, so patience is necessary.
Once the onions turn crisp… add turmeric powder, Biryani masala powder and salt. Saute well.
Now add in tomato and yogurt and mix well.
The masala will look thick after sauteing. Switch off.
Add this masala to the rice cooker along with washed rice & water. (Check salt and adjust at this stage)
Mix well to combine and its all set to get into the rice cooker.
Meanwhile lets work on the eggs. In a pan heat oil from table – 4 saute cumin seeds and onions over low flame.
Now beat one egg with Bhajji maavu, red chili powder and little salt.. slice the boiled eggs.
Dunk the sliced eggs in the egg mixture…
By this time the onions get fried with bubbling effect in oil…
Place those coated eggs butt side down…. and cook for few minutes to firm up.
Now flip to the other side and cook for few minutes.
The egg mixture will stick to the boiled eggs along with the fried onions, like shown above. Switch off.
By this time.. the rice will be cooked almost with probably 15 minutes left.., just open the cooker.
Spread that egg mixture over the rice mixture. Close again again and let it dum & cook the rice completely.
Once the cooker sings to complete the cooking process.. garnish with coriander leaves and some mint leaves. Add a little ghee over it and spread over a wide tray or basin. Gently mix and its all yours to relish! Try our Prawn Biryani Cracked Wheat Biryani Ambur Mutton Biryani
- Serves 4
- You may cook the same over stove top in a pan too.
- This is a timed cooker.. so the entire cooking time along with soaking takes about an hour. If you ahve a regular cooker just pre soak the rice for 30 minutes and the proceed.