Mushroom Biryani Recipe / Kalaan Biryani / Kalan Biryani/ How to make Mushroom biryani? / Step by step pictures to make Mushroom biryani / South Indian Style Mushroom Biryani / காளான் பிரியாணி / Kalan Biryani Recipe / Mushroom Briyani
Anything biryani is always a big yes at home any time of the day and today its Mushroom’s turn to brighten the table. There was a box of fresh white button mushrooms sitting in my refrigerator which needs to be finished and had to come up with something palatable. At home not everyone is a big of mushrooms… one recipe that never receives a negative feedback is biryani and will be done the moment it shows up on the table. Its been quite sometime now and didn’t realize that my site is missing this favorite recipe of mine. So here you go…. simple, delicious & flavorful mushroom biryani that I often make at home following my MIL’s recipe where she uses fresh coconut milk to make this scrumptious one pot dish.
|Basmati rice||2 cups|
|Mushrooms||20 small white buttons (sliced)|
|Onion||2 cups (sliced lengthwise)|
|Tomatoes||1 cup (chopped)|
|Green Chili||2 long (slit open)|
|Mint leaves||1/4 cup packed|
|Coriander leaves||2 tablespoon (chopped)|
|Ginger Garlic Paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Red Chilli powder||1 teaspoon|
|Coriander powder / Malli thool||2 teaspoons|
|Salt||2 & 1/2 teaspoon (or as per taste)|
|Ghee||1 Tablespoon (for sauteing)|
|Ghee||2 Tablespoon (for drizzling)|
|Bay leaves||3 leaves|
|Cinnamon||3 (1 inch sticks)|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Black peppercorns||1/4 teaspoon|
|Star Anise||1 whole|
|Coconut milk||2 cups (dilute)|
|Water||1 & 1/4 cup|
|Coriander leaves||1/4 cup (for garnishing)|
|Lemon||1/2 lemon or ( 2 teaspoon juice)|
I used a pressure cooker for this recipe, you may choose to cook this biryani either over stove top or rice cooker using the same measure. Only the cook time may vary and water proportion may vary a bit. Please refer the notes under the recipe.
Soak basmati rice for 20 – 25 minutes. Heat 2 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon ghee in a cooker pan and add all the whole garam masalas like bay leave, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise, cumin seeds & black peppercorn. Let it sizzle for a minute. Add thinely sliced onions and fry till translucent. Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes away. This should take about 10 minutes over medium flame.
Once it turns light golden add the chopped tomatoes along with turmeric powder, chili powder & coriander powder. Saute them well till the masala gets coated over onion tomato mixture. Fry for about 5 minutes. Now add the chopped mushrooms along with mint and coriander leaves.
Now dilute the yogurt in given measure of water. Add this to the mixture along with given measure of coconut milk. Once the gravy begins to boil, drain all the water from rice and add the soaked rice to the gravy. Squeeze about 1/2 lime over the gravy.
Close the cooker and put the weight. Cook upto 1 whistle over medium flame. (the first whistle usually comes out in about 5 minutes) Then bring the flame to lowest setting, place a big tawa and place the closed pressure cooker over it. (like shown above) Cook for 10 minutes and then switch off the stove. Let all the pressure settle, remove the weight and carefully open the lid. The rice must have cooked with all the mushrooms on top. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and drizzle ghee.
Carefully scoop out the rice to a wide bowl, fluff up with a fork and let all the steam settle a bit. Do not mix right away that will lead to mashing the rice. Gently mix once it cools a bit. Serve with chalna and raita.
- Serves 3-4 adults.
- Cooking biryani in cooker has always been tricky. Following this methods yields fully cooked fluffy long rice with no browning on the bottom of the pan.
- Mushroom biryani can be cooked with just water alone but trust me that biryani is going to be just ordinary masala rice something bland in my opinion. Adding coconut milk gives a unique flavor to this biryani and is highly recommended for this recipe.
- If cooking over stove top with 2 cups rice – (Soak 20 minutes, use the same measure water, yogurt & coconut milk. Once it starts to boil reduce the flame to low, cover with lid and cook for 15 minutes stirring once midway)
- If using a rice cooker just dump everything in the rice cooker pan but add additional 1/4 cup water.
- If you do not want the above method then cook upto 2 whistles and switch off the cooker.
- Always transfer the biryani to a plate / tray immediately after making. Spreading helps the rice to be separated and keeps them from turning mushy.
- I’ve used India Gate Basmati rice for this recipe and water measure works out great.