Asparagus (தண்ணீர்விட்டான் கிழங்கு) is one veggie which is very versatile, though the appearance may look weird and rugged they always seemed humble, bowing to suit your culinary needs. If you remember, I’ve always compared the taste of this vegetable to that of raw peanuts… and that induced me to make this chutney, which tasted similar to raw peanut chutney with slight appearance and smell of Ridge gourd thuvaiyal.
asparagus chutney recipe, how to make asparagus chutney?, south indian chutney recipes, vegetable chutneys, easy indian chutney recipes, vegetarian side dish, side dish recipes, idli dosa side dishes, tamil food, fusion recipes, thuvaiyal recipes, thugayal recipes, thuvaiyal recipes, tamil nadu food, tamil cuisine, south indian recipes, accompaniments, enga veetu samayal, tamizh recipes, chutney recipes, தண்ணீர்விட்டான் கிழங்கு, asparagus recipes
|2 tablespoons||Bengal gram (kadala paruppu)|
|1 tablespoons||Split balck gram (ulundu)|
|4 long variety||Dry red chili (long)|
|½ inch piece||Ginger|
|1 Marble size||Tamarind|
|¼ teaspoon||Asafoetida powder / Hing|
|¼ cup||Fresh grated coconut|
|½ teaspoon||Salt (or to taste)|
|¼ teaspoon||Split black gram (for tempering)|
|6 leaves||Curry leaves|
- Wash, trim the thick stalks at the bottom and roughly chop the Asparagus.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan, add bengal gram, split black gram and red chillies.
- Toast them over medium flame or until they turn golden.
- Now add the asparagus and fry over medium flame or until they turn slightly soft.
- Add the ginger, coconut pieces (or shredded) and tamarind and toss. This will loosen the tamarind make it easy to grind.
- Let cool this mixture completely and then grind with salt and asafoetida.
- Add water according to desired consistency.
- When done, heat remaining 1 tsp oil and splutter mustard, split black gram and curry leaves.
- Add this to the chutney and mix well.
- Serve with hot idlis or dosa.
- Yield: Serves 4 adults
- Asparagus is sold in most super markets during summer months. Nilgris (India) supermarket used to carry this,but you can also check other International super markets.