Roasted Gram Dal Chutney – Pottukadalai Chutney recipe – Easy 3- Ingredient Pottukadalai chutney – a simple humble side dish for Idli, Dosai , Uttapams etc kind of breakfast dishes. This has 3 main ingredients and rest are just tempering ingredients, salt and water.
Roasted Gram Dal Chutney
3 Main Ingredients
- 6 each Dry Red Chilli long variety
- 1/4 cup Roasted gram dal / Dalai/ Pottukadalai
- 1/2 cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt preferably crystal salt, kallu uppu
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Split black gram
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- 5 each Curry leaves finely chopped
- Lightly roast Dry red chili in a drop of oil.
- Grind the red chillies along with roasted gram dal, grated coconut, salt and water to fine consistency.
- Heat remaining oil and temper with mustard, split black gram, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add this to the chutney and mix well.
- Serve as a side dish for Idli Dosa.
- Lightly roast the dry red chillies in a tawa with a drop of oil till they turn brisk. In a mixer jar…combine roasted chillies, roasted gram dal, fresh grated coconut, salt and water. Grind to fine consistency and keep it ready in a cup.
- Heat oil in a small thalippu pan, splutter mustard seeds, split black gram, asafoetida and curry leaves. Add this tempering to the chutney and mix well.
- Serve it along with idli or dosai.
- Tempering is optional for this chutney.Its taste good even when served plain.
- If making plain non tempering version then use less water to grind and make the consistency of the chutney a little thick… somewhat like ghetti chtuney.
- This chutney has 3 main ingredients and additional salt & water 😀 & tempering!