Sweet corn is in season during summer and this pulao will be always on the menu once a week. Fresh corn flavored with mild curry sauce, cooked with aromatic basmati rice… just pair it with simple raita and you are all set for a fulfilling subtle surprise at the table! I usually make it for lunch or even for a fancy dinner and pack the left over for next days lunch box.
Corn pulao recipe / Corn pulav recipe / Rice recipes / Variety rice recipes / Corn biryani recipe / North Indian pulao recipe / Mixed rice recipes / Lunch box recipes / Sweet corn recipes / summer recipes / Pulao recipes / Easy pulao recipes / Mild pulao recipes
|1 cup||Fresh sweet corn / Quick frozen sweet corn / canned corn|
|2 cups||Basmati rice|
|1 cup (chopped)||Onion|
|1/2 cup (chopped)||Tomato|
|3 (slit open)||Green Chili|
|1 teaspoon||Ginger Garlic paste|
|1/4 teaspoon||Turmeric powder|
|1/4 teaspoon||Red chili powder (kashmiri red chili powder gives nice color)|
|1/4 teaspoon||Garam masala powder|
|3 leaves||Bay leaf|
|2||Cinnamon stick (small)|
|1 no||Star anise|
|1/4 teaspoon||Cumin seeds|
|1/4 teaspoon||Fennel seeds|
|1/4 teaspoon||Kala jeera / Black Cumin seeds|
- Heat oil in a pan, add all the spices mentioned in table-2 (Bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and kala jeera) and fry for few seconds.
- Saute onions, green chili till they turn translucent followed by ginger garlic paste.
- Add the chopped tomatoes along with turmeric, red chili powder and garam masala. Cook till the oil separates from the masala.
- Now add the fresh corn along with salt and saute for couple of minutes and switch off.
- Wash rice, add the gravy along with 3 cups water and 1 cup yogurt and cook using a rice cooker.
- If using a pressure cooker, its the same proportion, cook upto 2 whistles and switch off. Garnish with coriander leaves, drizzle some ghee and serve with raita.
- Serves 4 approx
- This is a mild pulao, if you prefer spicy then throw in extra green chilies
- Cooking with out turmeric will yield white colored pulav, turmeric is added to give a yellow tinge.
- Adding kala jeera / Shahi jeera / Black cumin to this pulav gives nice North Indian flavor- skip if you don’t prefer.