Chicken Chukka Varuval – #chicken is everybody’s favorite at home and i try to make a different variety each time and this one is a regular which goes well with any south indian rice dish. Chukka Varuval is nothing but a dry fry made with meat or veggies.. today lets see how to make one with chicken.
Ingredients – 1 (to grind)
- Dry Red Chilli – 4
- Coriander seeds – 2 tablespoons
- Black peppercorns – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Baby onions – 4 (samabar vengayam/ shallots/ pearl onions)
- Green chilli – 1
- Ginger – 2 inch piece
- Garlic – 5
- Curry leaves – 6
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- Chicken – 1 kg or 2 pounds (whole cut)
- Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Bay leaf – 2
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 4
- Onion – 1 cup chopped
- Garlic – 3 crushed
- Tomatoes – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 & 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste)
- Curry & Coriander leaves – a few for garnish
Lets see how to make this Chicken Chukka Varuval….
First lets take the dry ingredients from table- 1 dry red chilli, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black peppercorns in a mixer jar.
Grind it to a fine powder.
In the same mixer add in the wet ingredients from table-1 small onion, green chilli, ginger garlic, coriander leaves & curry leaves and grind along.
Just run your mixer in pulse mode… a few pulse just to make a coarse paste.
Keep this ground masala aside. (Do not grind to a fine paste) keep this aside.
Now heat oil in a fry pan… season with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, bay leaf and curry leaves. let them sizzle a bit.
Now add in chopped onions along with crushed garlic and saute well. The onions have to be browned a bit… with crispy effect.
Add in the chicken along with turmeric powder and little salt and saute well with the onion mixture. Cook for about 2 minutes. Try our TAWA CHICKEN
Now add in the chopped tomatoes along with red chilli powder, coriander powder, ground masala and salt. Try our VARUTHA KOZHI KARI
Fry well for 2 minutes over high flame… then cover and cook for 4 minutes. Once the chicken thoroughly then saute over low flame till the masala thickens and browns. The masala will become dry as you fry and oil will slowly ooze out. Switch off and garnish with curry and coriander leaves.
Our lunch… Rice, Rasam, Pakoda and this chicken Sukka!
- Serves 3 to 4
- Please use small onions for this recipe… it does make a difference.
- Usually mustard seeds are not added to chicken or mutton recipes but my MIL does and hence i have used it! guess kind of village style cooking 🙂