Cheesy Spinach and Corn Toast – kind of creamy spinach and corn in cheesy white sauce on a crispy toast, makes a kid friendly after school snack or pack them in their lunch boxes. These are open pan toasted cheesy bread with spinach and corn filling… with added spices.
- Bread – 2 slice (white /wheat / Multigrain) (white preferred)
- Spinach – 1 cup (chopped)
- Sweet Corn – 1/4 cup
- Onion – 2 tablespoons(sliced)
- Garlic – 2 (chopped)
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cheese – 1/4 cup (mozzarella)
- Maida – 1 teaspoon
- Milk – 1/4 cup ( i used 2 % low fat milk)
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Pepper – 1/4 teaspoon (i used #freshjax peppered habanero)
- Red pepper flakes – 1/4 teaspoon
- Butter – 1 teaspoon (for stuffing)
- Butter – 1 teaspoon (for toasting bread)
Lets see how to make Cheesy Spinach and Corn Toast….
To start with we make the filling…
Heat butter in a pan, temper with cumin seeds… add in chopped onion, garlic, spinach and corn. Saute well to cook them till the greens wilt a bit. You may add salt and little pepper at this stage.
Now add in 1 teaspoon of maida and saute along for a minute. Try our BREAD PIZZA
Add in the milk to the mixture and keep stirring until it thickens.
The maida in the mixture will drink up the milk and make the spinach corn mixture slightly creamy as it thickens. When it reaches a thick consistency, switch off! Keep this aside.
Now in a tawa… start toasting the bread with little oil or butter (as per your preference) toast light on either side. Try our GRILLED CHEESE ROLL UPS
Sprinkle a light layer of cheese on top. (keep the flame at low at this stage)
Spread the spinach corn mixture on top of it.
Again spread some more cheese on top of it. (now increase the flame to medium)
Cover with a lid and cook for few minutes…
The cheese will start to melt… sprinkle the red pepper flakes over and switch off!
Cut them diagonally and serve hot! Try our POTATO SMILEY RECIPE 🙂
- Makes two bread toast.
- You also make the same filling and sandwich with cheese.
- Pepper flakes is optional.. you may use your own spice mix too.
- You may use any bread…. wheat or multigrain works too but white taste better 🙂
- If using a toaster oven or OTG.. then you may not toast the bread, directly put them in the oven set the temperature to toast along with the cheese and filling.