Besan Burfi is a popular Gujarathi sweet made with Besan(Gram flour). Many call it Besan burfi, only professional La las(sweet makers) call it by that name. This burfi is made during special occasions and festivals.
|¾ cup||Milk powder|
|1 pinch||Apple green colour|
1.Crush the cardamon or coarsely powder them.
2. Take a heavy bottom pan, pressure cooker pans works well. Heat the 1/2 cup ghee and add the besan to it. Keep stirring constantly till the raw smell goes away. Indication 1. The gram flour will literally melt in ghee to form a bubbling effect. 2. You are welcome to taste at this point, you should smell the aroma of ghee and roasted besan, its likely that your whole kitchen might be filled with the aroma. Approximate time for this stage is 3 to 4 minutes on medium flame. Do not keep too long, that would make it very dry. Switch off and let it rest for 5 minutes.
3. Now add the milk powder to the roasted gram flour mixture and stir well to mix and mash the lumps if any. Keep this aside.
4. Take another pan ( non-stick preferred) and dissolve sugar in water. Heat on medium flame and keep stirring. Sugar syrup should come to a rolling boil, when it starts to boil vigorously. reduce flame to low. We have to get a 2 string consistency for this recipe which can be checked by the following methods.
Method 1. Put a drop of the syrup in a glass filled with cold water and it should form a thick string.
Method 2. Press a drop of syrup between your fingers and it should form a long thin string (this is one string consistency), if you keep simmering for few more minutes and test it again, it should form a double string.
When the syrup has reached the desired consistency, first add little apple green colour (optional) and then add the besan mixed with milk powder along with crushed cardamom and toasted nuts.
5. Keep stirring over low flame constantly until it leaves the sides and forms a big lump. Switch off and spread the mixture on a greased tray. Sprinkle saffron and other nuts if preferred, at this stage. Cut into desired shapes while its still warm. Cool and serve.
Yields about 20(approx) 2″ squares.
The following are optional
2. Chopped nuts. (Has to be toasted with little ghee before adding to the mixture)