Vendhaya Kuzhambu is a South Indian tamarind based gravy made with fenugreek seeds. I’m big fan of வத்தல் குழம்பு, kara kuzhambu varieties… its almost a staple at home and shows up atleast twice or thrice a week. Definitely veg days calls for a simple kara kuzhambu with kootu poriyal kind of meal and that’s when this fenugreek kuzhambu made it to the table sometime this week and all the way to the blog now 😉
|Ingredients for grinding|
|Small onion / Sambar vengayam||4|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Fennel seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Grated coconut||2 tablespoons|
|Ingredients for Kuzhambu|
|Onion (preferably pearl/ sambar onions)||1 cup (chopped)|
|Garlic||6 cloves (crushed)|
|Tomat0||1/4 cup (chopped)|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Red Chili powder||1 teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||2 teaspoons|
|Fenugreeks seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||6 leaves|
|Tamarind extract||1/4 cup (marble size soaked in water)|
|Salt||1 & 1/2 teaspoon|
|Sesame oil||2 tablespoons|
Some Kuzhambu recipes to try…
- Sundakkai Vathal Kuzhambu
- Kathrikkai Murungakkai kara Kuzhambu
- Vendakkai kara Kuzhambu
- Drumstick Poricha Kuzhambu
Heat little oil and fry the cumin seeds, fennel seeds and sambar onions until lightly browned.
Now add the grated coconut and toast along till lightly crisp. Do not brown them… just fry for few seconds, remove from pan and cool.
Once it cools grind that to fine paste using little water and keep aside.
Heat oil in a kadai, splutter mustard and fenugreek seeds and let them sizzle a bit.
Add in chopped onion, crushed garlic and curry leaves. Fry them in that oil till the onion gets cooked a bit.
Now add in chopped tomatoes and cook till they get mushy.
Followed by turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Saute this masala well.
Add in tamarind extract and cook over medium flame.
Now add in the jaggery to the gravy.
Add in the ground onion coconut paste and add in some water to adjust consistency.
The gravy will look light at this stage… cook for 5 minutes to thicken.
Once the gravy thickens the oil will float on top and you can switch off at this stage.
- Serves 3
- Garlic is something we add in all our puli kuzhambu but you may skip.
- I like to add whole fenugreek seeds rather than roasting and grinding method. For variation you may try roasting the fenugreek along with the cumin seeds and grind along with onion and coconut.
- To make more flavorful kuzhambu, try adding 1/2 teaspoon samabr podi or kuzhambu podi.
- Do not skip the jaggery, it balances the tangy gravy.
- Brahmin style vendhaya kuzhambu excludes onion, garlic and includes sambar podi / Kuzhambu podi… you may try for variation.
- Making with sambar onion and sesame oil really makes a difference, do try with them.