• Basmati rice: 2 cups
• Bay leaf: 1
• Cloves: 2
• Cinnamon stick: 1″
• Cardamoms: 2
• Star aniseed:1
• Fennel seeds:1 tsp
• Onions: 2 (medium sized, finely sliced)
• Green chili: 2
• Mint: 12-15 leaves (Pudina)
• Red chili powder: 1 tsp
• Turmeric powder:1/4 tsp
• Cumin Powder: pinch (roasted jeera powder)
• Coriander powder:1/2 tsp
• Curd : 1 tbsp
• Tomato: 1 (large red tomatoe, finely chopped)
• Coriander leaves: 1 1/2 tbsp (finely chopped for garnish)
• Salt: to taste
• Oil: 1 tbsp
• Ghee: 1 tbsp (optional) vegan can omit ghee and substitute with oil
• Tomato: 2 (medium sized ripe tomatoes)
• Ginger :1/2 tsp(grated)
• Garlic: 4 cloves
• Onion: 1 (medium sized)
Grind the ingredients in list-2 in to a fine paste.
Heat oil & ghee in a Vessel or Pressure cooker, add Bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, cardamoms, star aniseed, fennel seeds and stir fry 30 secs. Add the sliced onions and saute for 3 mts. Then add chopped tomatoes and saute again for 3 mts.
Add green chili, mint leaves, ground paste (Ingredients-2),salt to taste and sauté till this mixture and oil separates(low flame around 8-9 mts).
Then add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, curd and saute for 2 mts.
Reduce the flame, add the Basmati rice, mix, sauté for a mt. Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame and cook till rice is done. If using pressure cooker, cook rice up to 3whistles.
Remove in to a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve warm with raita or any curry of your choice.