Tomato Adai is more of south indian staple be it either breakfast or for light evening tiffin. Adding makes gives this adai a bright reddish brown tinge with immense tomato flavor and very hearty. Usually adai is served avial, peanut chutney can be quick fix and perfectly pairs on busy days.
Tomato adai recipe, adai recipes, breakfast recipes, south indian recipes, adai avial, easy adai recipe, south indian breakfast ideas
|1 cup||Raw rice (pachai arisi)|
|¼ cup||Split red gram (toor gram / thuvaram paruppu)|
|¼ cup||Split green gram|
|¼ cup||Bengal gram (kadhala paruppu)|
|¼ cup||Split black gram (ullundu)|
|3 long chiliies||Dry red chili|
|2 tablespoons||Grated coconut|
|¼ teaspoon||Cumin seeds|
|1 teaspoon||Salt (as per taste)|
|2 medium size||Tomato (ripe)|
|¼ cup||Onion (finely chopped)|
|1 small||Green chili (finely chopped)|
|½ teaspoon||Ginger (finely chopped)|
|10 leaves||Curry leaves (finely chopped)|
|2 tablespoons||Coriander leaves (chopped )|
|¼ cup||Oil (for dosai)|
- Soak rice and lentils (split red gram + split green gram + split black gram + Bengal gram ) for 4 hours.
- Grind along with tomato, red chili and coconut to make a coarse paste, adding very little water.
- To this ground batter, add salt, asafoetida, cumin seeds, chopped curry leaves, coriander, green chili, onions and ginger.
- Mix well to incorporate.
- Heat a tawa and spoon a ladleful of batter, spread them to form a circle. Check tip under additional notes for easy spreading.
- Drizzle oil or butter, let it stay till crisp on the bottom and fully cooked on top (should take a minute over medium flame).
- Then flip to the other side and cook for few seconds, fold and serve with choice of chutney.
Makes 6 adais.
Spreading the batter over the tawa could be hard for beginners with the chunky onions. You can add everything except onions, spread the batter easily and then sprinkle the onions over it, this way it might stick to the batter. But there are some disadvantages doing this is way,it may easily burn the onions when flipped moreover they might sometimes fall apart too.