Sakkaravalli Kizhangu Chips – Deep Fried Sweet Potato Chips… that is all! Sweet Potato comes in different colors.. white , yellow, orange and purple… American grown sweet potatoes often termed Yams comes in orange… and today we are going to see how to make chips (deep fried version) using these the Indian way!
- Sweet Potato – 2 (large)
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – 3 cups for deep frying
Lets see how to make this Sakkaravalli Kizhangu Chips…
1. Heat oil in a kadai and keep it ready…
2. Peel off the sweet potato skin, thinly slice using a mandoline and keep them ready…
3. Mix red chili powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder and salt in a cup and keep it ready..
4. Now fry them in oil in small batches… it will take 4 to 5 minutes over low medium flame for them to turn lightly brown. Do not fry over high flame they will get brown very soon. Frying over medium flame is the key.
5. Once done the edges may turn lightly brown… they will still look soft when you take them out of the oil. (do not panic)
6. Immediately sprinkle little of the spice mix and give it a toss in a wide bowl. This is help to coat the masala all over. Spread them in a tray to cool.
7. Once they cool completely, they will be very crispy.
8. Repeat the process for the remaining batches.
6. Let them cool completely and then store in an air tight box for a week or two.
Makes 500 grams