Mutton Pepper Masala -Ever since i tried varutha kari at karaikudi chain restaurants, i want to replicate the same at home too. Tender mutton cooked in spicy pepper gravy simmered to a perfect semi thick consistency with oil oozing out from the gravy…. green curry leaves peeking here & there to tempt enough… what more could i say, lets get this started…. can’t wait! 😛 🙂
Ingredients – table 1
- Mutton (Goat meat) -2 pounds or 1 kg
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt (preferably kosher / kallu uppu)- 3/4 teaspoon
- Water – 2 cups
Ingredients – table 2
- Black pepper corn – 3 tablespoons (for grinding)
- Whole garam masala (bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, black stone flower, star anise) – 3 each
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
- Sambar Onion (chinna vengayam/ pearl onion/ shallots) – 10 (sliced)
- Big onion (Periya vengayam) – 1 cup (chopped)
- Green chili- 2 (slit open)
- Tomato – 1/2 (chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 2 tablespoons
- Curry leaves – 20 leaves
- Coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon (chopped)
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 4 tablespoons
Lets see how to make this mutton pepper masala…
Wash mutton, rinse off all the blood and discard fat if any. Transfer the clean mutton pieces to a pressure cooker pan, add one tablespoon of ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, salt and water. (Refer table -1) Pressure cook upto to 4 whistles, once done let the steam settle and keep this aside.
Ina mixer jar grind fresh black peppercorns to a coarse texture and keep this ready.
Heat oil in a kadai, add in all the whole garam masala (bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise, kalpasi & cumin seeds) Let them sizzle for few seconds.
Add ginger garlic paste to the whole masalas.
Let the ginger garlic paste fry in oil till golden.
Now add green chili, chinna vengayam(sambar onions) & periaya vengayam (big onions). Fry the onion over medium flame till translucent and slightly golden.
Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till soft.
Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, pepper powder (just 1 teaspoon) and salt.
Let the masala blend well with the onion tomato mixture. Fry till the oil separates.
Now add the cooked mutton along with the stock. Try another version…..Chettinad Mutton Kuzhambu
Let this simmer for few minutes for the mutton to absorb all the masala.
When the gravy thicken a bit, add in remaining black pepper powder.
Add in some fresh curry leaves.
The gravy will thicken as you cook. You may switch off once it reaches a semi thick consistency. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Mutton pepper fry is all ready to be served. They pair well with biryani, parotta or pulao. It also goes well with sambar sadam or rasam sadam. My favorite combination is with curd rice 😛
- Serves 3-4 adults
- Fresh black pepper does matter, try to use freshly ground black pepper for spicy flavorful curry. If you prefer extra spicy add in more black pepper just before switching off.
- Cook mutton to tender, 4 whistles should cook baby goat to the right texture.
Black Stone Flower/ kalpasi- does play a role in flavor, do include. Most Indian stores sell them as pathar ke phool.
- Curry leaves does add in flavor, the more you add, the more taste and flavor.
- This recipe is for semi thick gravy / masala- if you prefer dry version then keep sauteing the masala till it rolls into a thick mass.
Some Mutton Recipes to try…..
MUTTON MASALA RECIPE / MUTTON PEPPER MASALA RECIPE / MUTTON CURRY RECIPE / KARI VARUVAL RECIPE / VARUTHA KARI RECIPE / GOAT MASALA / MUTTON FRY RECIPE / NON VEGETARIAN GRAVY / NON VEGETARIAN CURRIES / VARUVAL RECIPES / MUTTON RECIPES / MUTTON MILAGU VARUVAL RECIPE / MUTTON PEPPER FRY RECICPE / MILAGU KARI VARUVAL / RESTAURANT STYLE / KARAIKUDI STYLE MUTTON PEPPER FRY / KARAIKUDI VARUTHA KARI RECIPE / KARAIKUDI MUTTON FRY / CHETTINAD MUTTON FRY / CHETTINAD MUTTON MASALA / CHETTINAD MUTTON PEPPER FRY RECIPE