Spicy chutney, good side for idli or dosai.
|3 no||Onion (chopped)|
|2 nos||Tomato (chopped)|
|4 nos||Dry red chilli|
|2 tbsp||Black gram (ulundu)|
|3 tbsp||Bengal gram|
|½ tsp||Asafoetida powder|
|¼ tsp||Salt (or to taste)|
Heat oil in a pan and toast the ingredients in the following order.
1. Fry the black gram until slightly brown.
2. Add bengal gram to this and fry until they turn crisp and golden.
3. Add dry red chillies and fry for few seconds.
4. Add onions to that and fry until lightly translucent.
5. Now add the tomatoes and fry until softened.
6. You can add tamarind to this mixture and fry for few minutes to soften them, not really necessary, but this will make them blend well, while grinding in the mixie.
7. Let the mixture cool completely and grind along with asafoetida and salt.
Serve with hot dosai or idli.