Double Decker Burfi – we make things special every time, don’t we?? Today sharing the most requested recipe for Double Decker Burfi, which is a two layer milk burfi .. one vanilla flavored and other pineapple! There are no hard and fast rules that you use only certain flavors… there are a million chocolate burfi on the net and i decided to do a different variety, played with vanilla & pineapple flavoring this time! This is one quick burfi you can make… can never go wrong, options to fix it if u miss the string consistency… 😉 read the notes first 🙂
- Milk Powder / Mawa Powder – 1 cup (used @deepsfood brand mawa powder)
- Maida – 1/2 cup
- Ghee – 3 tablespoons
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pineapple essence – few drops only (this is usually very strong, so careful pls)
- Yellow food color – a pinch
Lets see how to make this Double Decker Burfi…
To start with, grease a square pan with ghee…. and keep it ready!
First heat the ghee in a kadai.. drop a pinch of maida in it and test whether its hot enough. The maida should just hizzzz as soon as you drop it. When its ready add in the maida and quickly cook that flour in ghee to get rid off the raw smell. Just a minute or so fry over low flame. The maida will drink up all the ghee and become chunky. Switch off and let it rest. Try another version burfi KESAR BURFI
In another pan heat water along with sugar and bring it to a boil Intially the sugar will melt and slowly thicken… start checking for thread consistency….
Once you see one string consistency.. as shown( when you touch the syrup with your index and thumb finger, it should form a thin string. Immediately switch off. Try our 7 CUP BURFI
Pour this right away into the maida mixture. Turn the flame on to low medium and keep stirring.
The maida mixture will literally melt into that sugar syrup. Add in the milk powder at this stage and keep stirring. HEALTHY COCONUT BURFI
It will be sticky and in a running consistency at this point. But keep stirring…
It will eventually roll into a ball… lets do the testing…
Spoon a little of the mixture into the greased tray and wait for a second.
When you roll…it should form a soft ball… shouldn’t be sticky at all. It will dance to your tunes… and that’s the right stage to switch off.
Divide the mixture into two equal portion… on one add the vanilla and mix.
To the other add pineapple essence and yellow food color and mix. (Sorry my brain wasn’t thinking and i forgot to click those 😀 steps)
First pour the vanilla mixture into the tray… smoothen with a spoon brushed with ghee.
Pour the second yellow layer and again smoothen and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Then flip the whole thing onto a plate and cut into squares.
They may appear slightly soft in the beginning but will harden once it cools completely.
Well, i added less food color hence its not a dark yellow… you may if you want! Making them with homemade khoya will be very tasty… but who’s got time for that 🙄 … this is a short cut method which you can finish under 30 minutes and can never go wrong.
Easy sweet to make for #deepavali distribution.
- Makes 16 (2×2 inch squares)
- Adding fresh khoya will be super tasty, try it.
- You may use any flavoring… we kind of like pineapple 🙂
- We at home don’t like elachi in any of the burfi’s, kills the original flavor….so skipped but you can include if your like.
- A good milk powder also matters… buy a good brand and use it!
- Ok, if you take before the one string consistency… just keep stirring by adding another tablespoon of mawa powder to make it thick. If it crosses the one string then your burfi will get hard fast… so add extra ghee to make it soft. These are just quick fix ups… but you better make it right the first time following the instructions. Patience is always the key to make better sweets, keep all the ingredients ready… near by, keeps stirring all the time at low flame and i assure you that you will get it right!