|2 cup||Chicken stock|
|½ cup||Chicken (cooked and shredded)|
|2 nos||Egg whites (from 2 eggs)|
|2 tbsp||Corn flour / starch|
|3 tbsp||Cream style corn with kernels|
|2 pinch||Black peper powder|
|2 pinch||Salt (or to taste)|
|1 stks||Spring onions (finely chopped)|
The following items are a must to prepare this soup.
1. Sweet corn kernels – Buy a canned product or look for fresh sweet corn on cob. If using fresh corn, separate the corn from cob and pressure cook until soft.
2. Creamed Corn – Either buy cream style canned corn as shown or make a paste out of the pressure cooked corn.
3. Chicken Stock – Store bought chicken stock or consomme or cubes will work. I prefer fresh homemade stock. For basic chciken stock, heat up 3 cups of water with cubed onions(1), carrots(1), beans(3), celery(1), few cloves, minced ginger(1″), crushed garlic(2), Chicken parts(bones, neck, legs, thighs and some meat), peppercorns and salt. Pressure cook upto 3 whistles, let the steam release, filter the stock and keep aside.
4. Corn flour – White corn flour / Corn starch
5. MSG – Wouldn’t say it is a must but if you’re looking for some Mings or Wangs kitchen style soup better go for it. Rice vinegar can be substituted if you wish, not to add msg/ ajinomotto.
6. Egg – Most restaurants here include both yolk and whites, but as far as my preparation goes its purely made with egg whites. In my conception, only clear egg drop soup should include both and cream style corn with egg whites.
Method: Mix creamed corn in water, add chicken stock ,shredded chicken, ajinomotto and bring it a boil. Mix corn flour in 4 tbsp of cold water to make a thick solution. Add this to the boiling soup. When it starts to bubble and thicken, add the egg whites as you stir. (You need to keep on stirring while adding egg whites orelse they will form big lumps. We need little flaky cooked egg white consistency as shown in the picture). Season with salt and pepper, garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot.