Spinach Masiyal / கீரை மசியல் – is one of the easiest, healthiest dish that you can make under 15 minutes. It can be a main dish topped over piping hot rice or can be a side for many meal… its our family routine to have some kind of keerai masiyal thrice a week and this is one such preparation.
Some similar recipes to try…
- Spinach / Palak Keerai – 1 small bunch (30 leaves with stalks)
- Pearl onion / Chinna vengayam – 2 (chopped)
- Garlic – 3 (crushed)
- Dry red chili – 2
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Split black gram – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
Lets see how to make this Spinach Masiyal
Wash and rinse the spinach leaves in cold water to clean off all the dirt and mud.
Heat a pan with 1/2 teaspoon oil and saute it over high flame for 5 minutes with turmeric powder. Cook till it wilts a bit. Switch off and let cool a bit.
Blend it in a mixer along with salt.
Finally heat the remaining oil and splutter mustard seeds, dry red chili, split black gram and cumin seeds. Add in the onion & garlic and saute for few minutes until they turn tender. Sprinkle a little asafoetida and pour this over the spinach mixture.
Serve with rice topped with ghee!
- Serves 2
- You may choose any keerai / greens for this recipe.
- You may blend the greens and then do tempering or you may pulse along with talippu. Either way it tastes good.