Potato Masiyal aka Potato puttu is what we call at home… is an outstanding side for kara kuzhambu, meen kuzhambu or what ever puli kuzhambu. Just one simple side that needs no additional foody friends to decorate the plate. Whenever our saturday veg menu calls for kara kuzhambu this humble dish shows up on the side… you got to try ! Doesn’t need a lot of ingredients plus no brains too… its that simple! Moreover the leftovers can easily slide in between dosa making it a Masala Dosai… 🙂
- Potato – 2 (about 20 cubed)
- Onion – 1 cup (thinly sliced)
- Tomato – 2 tablespoons (chopped)
- Green Chillies – 5 (slit open)
- Garlic – 6 cloves (crushed)
- Mustard seeds – 1/ 2 teaspoon
- Split black gram – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 10 leaves
- Coriander leaves – a few for garnish
- Salt – 3/4 teaspoon or to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – 3 teaspoons
- Pinch of turmeric + water to boil potatoes
Lets see how to make this Potato Masiyal…
Heat oil in a kadai.. splutter mustard seeds, followed by split black gram and when that turns golden throw in the curry leaves and cumin seeds sprinkling asafoetida powder.
Now reduce the flame and add the sliced onion, green chillies and garlic. Saute themin low flame… we want the onions to slow cook till soft and not to brown. This may take time, patience is the key…
Meanwhile boil that potato cubes with turmeric until tender but firm. You may insert a knife and see if ts cooked through… Once done, strain and mash it roughly and keep it side.
When the onion becomes tender add in the tomato and cook till lightly soft.
Add in salt and turmeric at this stage.
Add in the mashed potato and saute to coat them with the onion masala all over.
All done, garnish with coriander leaves and switch off. Serve it with Kara Kuzhambu and appalam…. Amen!
- Serves 4
- Making this with chinna vengayam will be too good, try it.
- This potato masala also suits for poori, stuffing for masala dosa.. or roll it up in a chapathi for lunch box.
Some Potato recipes to try…