Paneer Puff Pastry – Just spicy paneer bhurji stuffing on an open puff pastry.. a simple snack or after school treat what ever you want to call it. Its just so simple to make with store bought square puff pastry from Indian stores usually found in the frozen aisle. You may play with the stuffing choose the one you like.. today i have chosen scrambled paneer with spicy onion mix.
Check our INDIAN CHICKEN PUFFS VEGETABLE CURRY PUFFS
- Square Puff Pastry – 4 (see pic)
- Oil – 3 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Paneer – 1/2 cup (grated)
- Onion – Roughly chopped- 1/2 cup
- Green capsicum – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Tomato – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green Chili – 1 (finely minced) (or just grind with ginger garlic paste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon (add more if you prefer spicy)
- Chaat masala – 1/4 teaspoon
- Crushed Black peppercorns – 1/4 teaspoon
- Crushed raw Coriander seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Sugar – a pinch
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Water – a little (to seal the puff dough)
Lets see how to make this Paneer Puff Pastry….
To start with.. thaw the puff pastry sheet… i got the Kawan Brand pre cut square puff pastry sheets from Indian stores (they are usually in the frozen aisle)
Normally take 30 minutes to come to room temperature… meanwhile we can make the stuffing.
Heat oil in a pan… splutter cumin seeds and saute onion, green chili, ginger garlic paste, tomatoes, green capsicum all at the same time over high flame.
Immediately add sugar and salt while sauteing… that keeps the veggies crunchy and the color intact.
Followed by chaat masala powder…
Followed by turmeric powder….
Followed by red chili powder…
Followed by crushed black peppercorns and raw coriander seeds…along with grated paneer.
Just saute everything over high flame until well combined… the stuffing doesn’t have to cook too long… as its going to bake anyways… When they look kind of semi thick mix, switch off and let it cool completely. Start preheating you oven to 400 F
By this time the pastry dough must have been ready…Place them over a baking sheet as shown.Divide the mix evenly and stuff each one with. (remember the stuffing should be at room temperature….if hot it will loosen the dough quite a bit)
Apply little water over the edges of the dough…
Try to seal them lightly… as shown. (they will open up later) You may fold in whatever way you want… i want it open like a cup… so decided this method. If you seal them tight… it may not open and stay put!
Bake for 14 to 15 minutes or until golden on the edges… (i have used my convection setting in my microwave.. and baked in it)
Once done… they bloom like a flower all opened up…..enjoy hot hot with cup of tea!
- Makes 4
- Choose however you want to fold… half fold to cross fold.