Mutton Vellai Kurma is a coconut based gravy… is a usual in our home on sundays. We make this for our breakfast… as a side for idli dosa. Non veg days calls mutton, chicken.. & on saturday’s its veggie style! This is more like weekend ritual back home.. where we make some kind of kurma kuzhambu with varautha kari or chicken or meen varuval…. my amma Mrs. Vasanthi Pandian makes the best mutton vellai kurma, in which there is no chilli dhania powder and its cooked only with green chillies which makes it look pale white in color. Here goes the recipe…
Ingredients to cook Mutton
- Mutton – 1 pound or 1/2 kg
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 5
- Green chilli – 3
- Salt – 1 /2 teaspoon (kosher/ kallu uppu)
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Water – 2 cups
Ingredients to grind
- Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Poppy seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cashews – 4
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin – 1/4 teaspoon
- Water – 1/4 cup
Ingredients for gravy
- Onion – 1 cup (finely chopped, preferably baby onions)
- Green chili – 2
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1/2 teaspoon
- Tomat0 – 1/4 cup
- Bay leaf – 2
- Cloves – 5
- Cardamom – 2
- Cinnamon – 2 inch stic
- Kalpasi – 3 pieces
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – a few
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander leaves – a few for garnish
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon (or as needed)
- Mint leaves – a few (optional)
Lets see how to make this Mutton Vellai Kurma..
Some prep work required… grind ginger galric and green chilli from table -1 to make a paste. If you have the best tender mutton you may cook gravy along with the mutton. But if you are doubtful… then first cook the mutton separately… as it may take long time or few extra whistles depending on the quality.
Here is USA, getting tender cut mutton is one headache… better to cook separately until tender and then mix with the gravy ingredients along with the stock.
In a pressure pan, take mutton, ginger garlic green chili paste, salt, water and pinch of turmeric powder.
Good quality mutton takes only 3 to 4 whistles to cook.
If the meat is from matured goat give few extra whistles. Keep this ready.
In another pan… heat oil and ghee. Splutter cumin seeds, fennel seeds, curry leaves along with all garam masala (bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, kalpasi) let it fry a bit.
Add in chopped onions, green chilli and ginger garlic paste. Saute well over low flame… this may take about 15 minutes… they have to be tender and soft and lightly browned.
Add in the cooked mutton along with its juice.
Throw in the tomatoes and cook further…. (for variation… skip tomato & try 1 tablespoon yogurt)
Meanwhile take coconut with poppy seeds, cashew, cumin and fennel seed in a mixer jar. Using little water grind it to a fine paste.
Add this to the mutton mixture and simmer. Cooked mutton already includes salt so add a little for the gravy part and switch off! Try our style… Mutton Curry
Garnish with coriander leaves… a few mint leaves will enhance the taste but (optional). This will also taste good with Mutton Biryani
- Serves 4 to 5
- Excellent side for idli, dosa… we like it over rice too. Some Idli , dosa mutton combinations… 1. Mughlai Mutton Masala Kheema Kothu Kari Kozhambu
- Same recipe can be used for chicken too.. or mixed veggies for vegetarians.
- Kalpasi (black stone flower) is a spice which gives unique flavor to the dish.
- Using sambar onions/ shallots will add extra flavor to the dish.
- Ghee is a must for this dish. No compromise pls 😛
- For variation… sometimes to give tangy flavor… tomatoes are skipped and yogurt will be used in its place.