Egg kuzhambu / Muttai Kuzhambu – is one easy quick kuzhambu which you can whip up under non veg menu. You don’t need any thing fancy just simple puli kuzhambu with soft pouched eggs. They pair really well with any poriyal and appalam. Fully boiled eggs doesn’t add much flavor to the gravy but in this style the egg is directly cooked in the gravy and makes a flavorful curry.
Muttai Kuzhambu Recipe, Egg Kuzhambu, Udaitha Muttai Kuzhambu, How to make Egg Curry?, Egg Gravy recipe, Egg recipes, South Indian Egg Gravy, Egg Drop Curry, Accompaniments, Gravy for rice, Chettinad Egg Kuzhambu recipe, Non Vegetarian gravies, Egg Kulambu, Egg kolambu, Kuzhambu recipes
|1 cup||Onions (finely chopped) (try using sambar vengayam)|
|1||Green chili (slit open)|
|3 teaspoons||Coconut paste made from 1/4 cup grated coconut|
|3 teaspoons||Tamarind juice (or thick store bought pulp 1/4 tsp)|
|6 leaves||Curry leaves|
|1 tablespoon||Coriander leaves (chopped)|
|1/4 teaspoon||Cumin seeds|
|1/4 teaspoon||Fenugreek seeds|
|1/4 teaspoon||Split black gram|
|1/4 teaspoon||Asafoetida powder|
|1/4 teaspoon||Turmeric powder|
|2 teaspoons||Red chili powder|
|4 teaspoons||Coriander/dhania powder|
|1/2 teaspoon||Cumin powder|
|1 & 1/4 teaspoons||Salt or to taste|
|1 pinch||Sugar / Jaggery (optional)|
|1 &1/2 cups||Water|
Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard, cumin, fenugreek seeds and black gram along with asafoetida. Saute chopped onions, green chilies and garlic. When it turns slightly brown add chopped tomatoes and cook until soft. Add turmeric, red chili , coriander, cumin powder and salt to the mixture. The step is the key to get a good consistency to the gravy(this mixture should cook over low flame for at-least 20 minutes or until the onion and tomato blend well and turn kind of soft, you will see the oil separating from the mixture)
Now add tamarind pulp, water and sugar. Let it come to one boil and then simmer.
Now carefully crack and drop the eggs one by one in the gravy, do not stir or scramble the mixture, let it simmer for 10 minutes(approx) with lids closed, until the eggs are cooked perfectly. As soon as the eggs are ready, add the coconut paste and give one little gentle stir. Garnish with curry and coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice, poriyal and varthal.
- 3 Adult servings
- Avoid cooking the eggs for long time, as it might make the yolks rubbery or hard. Simmering for maximum of 15 minutes on medium flame should work fine.
- Cooking the onion tomato mixture over low flame is the key to make a thick gravy and to get the right consistency.
- Adding sugar or jaggery is optional it balances the spice level and tanginess of the gravy.
- Adding coconut paste is optional but gives good flavor and creamy consistency to the gravy.Traditional muttai kuzkhambu includes coconut paste.
- You may add lightly slit boiled egg to the gravy instead of cooking them directly.
- Grinding a little fennel and poppy seeds with coconut adds richness & flavor to the gravy. My MIL makes this type (pondy style) which they call muttai kurma kuzhambu.
- You may substitute red chili powder & coriander powder with 2 tablespoons full Kuzhambu Milagai Thool.