Chicken Kurma is a mild, creamy coconut flavored gravy. Korma / kurma / qorma is a Mughlai dish, mostly made with any form of meat or vegetable or combination of both, where yogurt is primarily added for flavor and richness. A typical South Indian style kurma is slightly different, its definitely spiced or fiery and brings in richness from the ground coconut and nuts. Kurma is an one time affair in a week at our home, be it chapati, parotta or rice. My mom and mil are experts in making their own style, and this recipe is a combo of both flavors , do check the notes for options. I love this dish when served with flaky parottas… at the same time it also works for plain rice with some fried fish on the side!
சிக்கன் குருமா, chicken korma recipe, chicken kurma recipe, kozhi kurma recipe, how to make kozhi kurma recipe, chicken recipes, kurma recipes, korma, south indian kurma recipe, tamil recipes, tamil nadu recipes, tamizh recipes, chennai recipes, chennai style recipes, Tamil Nadu food, side dish recipes, parotta side dish, accompaniments, enga veetu samayal, non vegetarian recipes, Mughlai recipes, குருமா, சிக்கன் குழம்பு செய்முறை. சிக்கன் கிரேவி, chicken gravy, kurma kuzhambu recipes, chicken kulambu, chicken kolambu, naatu kozhi kuzhambu, country chicken gravy, cornish hen recipes, country style chicken kurma, gramathu samayal
|Chicken||1 pound or 1/2 kg||whole cut chicken preferred / boneless works too|
|Onion||1 cup||finely chopped preferably (small onion / pearl onion / sambar onion)|
|Green chili||2||slit open|
|Ginger Garlic paste||1 tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Fennel seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Bay leaf||2 leaves|
|Cinnamon||2||1 inch sticks|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Red Chili powder||1 teaspoon||spicy variety|
|Coriander powder||2 teaspoons|
|Coriander leaves||1 teaspoon||chopped (for garnish)|
|Curry leaves||5 leaves||for garnish|
|Water||1 cup||for gravy|
|Fresh grated coconut||1 cup||Grind all these to make fine paste|
|Poppy seeds||1/2 teaspoon|
|Fennel seeds||1/4 teaspoon|
Chop all the veggies and keep them ready. Clean and chicken, wash and keep it ready. Chicken can be marinated with little turmeric and salt but not really necessary.
Heat oil and ghee in a sauce pan and splutter cumin and fennel seeds. Also add the whole dry garam masalas like bay leaf, cloves, cardamon and cinnamon.
Saute onions & green chilli until golden brown. I have used combination if sambar onions and regular onions.
Bring the flame to medium, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. The chicken will release water and cook along with the onion mixture.
Once done, add in chopped tomatoes along with chili powder and coriander powder and the remaining salt. Also add a cup of water. Mix everything well. Now bring the flame to medium low setting, cover and cook the gravy for 10 minutes. Do not disturb!
Once done, the oil will separate from the gravy as shown.
Once done, add the coconut paste, throw in the coriander leaves and curry leaves. Simmer for few minutes and switch off!
- Serves 3- 4 approx
- My mil’s version includes fennel seeds as well as little pottukadalai / roasted gram while grinding coconut and also she adds in few mint leaves while finishing up the gravy for added flavor. Also she is old school never uses premade ginger garlic paste, she likes to add crushed ginger and garlic.
- My amma uses just the poppy seeds and cashews while grinding coconut and garnish with just curry & coriander leaves and drizzles ghee at the end.
- I like both versions and play with the ingredients for a taste of both.
- This kurma taste awesome with naatu kozhi or country chicken. Boneless works but not that tasty though!
- Make sure to grind the cashew and poppy seeds well to make a smooth paste.
- Sambar onion or pearl onion or chinna vengayam adds a ton of flavor, i know its quite expensive here in USA… so I’ve added half of each.