|1 cup||Raw rice (pachai arisi)|
|¾ cup||Moong dal (Split green gram de-husked)|
|¾ teaspoon||Salt (or to taste)|
|1½ teaspoon||Black peppercorns|
|1 teaspoon||Cumin seeds|
- Wash and soak, rice and green gram (Moong dal) for at least 1/2 hour.
- Pressure cook rice, moong dal with little salt and 5 cups of water for up to 4 whistles.
- Meanwhile keep a big bowl ready for mixing the spices with the cooked rice and dal.
- When steam releases from the cooker, open and transfer the content to the bowl.
- Heat ghee (2tbsp) in a small pan, splutter cumin seeds, black peppercorns, curry leaves and ginger.
- While its still hot add the cashews and fry till golden.
- Add this to the cooked rice dal mixture along with salt, asafoetida and 1/4 cup ghee.
- Mix well to blend and serve pipping hot with vada, chutney and sambar.
I still luv my old pics from 2008 and I’m keeping it! Here is the new…
You can use Ponni raw rice or Sona masoori.
If using an electric cooker, use the same proportion and cook rice and dhal with little salt and then do the tempering.