Vegetable Stew for Appam is one lip smacking combo… normally thengai paal / sweetened coconut milk is served , for those who want a spicy side can go with this stew which is light, creamy, coconut-ty rich!
Ingredients for Stew
- Mixed Vegetables – 2 cups (carrot, potato, green peas)
- Onions – 1/2 cup (thinly sliced)
- Green Chilli – 3 (slit open)
- Ginger – 1 tablespoon (finely minced)
- Light coconut milk – 1 cup
- Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup
Ingredients for tempering
- Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Bay leaf – 2
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – 2 smalls ticks
- Cardamom – 1
- Curry leaves – 10
Lets see how to make this Vegetable stew….
Some prep work before we actually start. Dice the veggies evenly and boil them in some water until cooked. Remember they have to cook soft but firm.
Grind about 1 cup grated coconut with water to a fine consistency. Filter and get the first coconut milk (this will be the thick coconut milk) Again grind the fiber with some more water and filter again to get the second coconut milk (this will be the light coconut milk) Keep them ready.
Now heat coconut oil in a sauce pan. (coconut oil preferred for this recipe)
Splutter cumin and curry leaves along with bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon and cardamon. Let them sizzle a bit.
Add in the sliced onion, green chilli and minced ginger and saute over low medium flame until the onions turns translucent.
When done, add in the cooked mixed veggies along with the water in which its cooked.
Add salt and the second coconut milk (light) and simmer.
Once it begins to boil a bit, reduce the flame and add the first coconut milk (thick) and simmer.
Let it cook for low flame and thicken.
Once it thickens a bit, switch off!
- Serves 4
- Remember green chilli is theonly element of heat in the recipe, 3 should be good enough but feel to free to add more if you wanna extra spicy.
- Mixed veggies can you anything that you like… basic is carrot beans, potato and peas.
- Coconut oil adds in that kerala touch to the recipe… so do include.
Try a non veg combo appam – paya
Try our Hotel style Vegetable Kurma