Vegetable Gotsu is an easy accompaniment for Idli dosa or Pongal. Normally gotsu is made with dal and veggie combination with no ginger garlic in it but this idea adapted from one of those Arusuvai Idhu thani suvai TV program by Mrs. Revathy Shanmugam where she shares making a gotsu using ginger garlic paste which gives kind of a masala taste to the gravy and that sounded like a double ok in our house where that is the primary ingredient for most of the dishes.
- Mixed vegetables – 2 cups (carrot, beans, chow chow, brinjal)
- Split yellow dal (pachai paruppu) – 3/4 cup
- Onion – 1/2 cup (preferably shallots/ chinna vengayam)
- Green Chilli – 4
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Tomato – 1/2 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 & 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste)
- Coriander leaves – 2 teaspoons (for garnish)
Ingredient for tempering
- Oil – 2 tablespoons (little ghee would be nice)
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Split black gram – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 5
- Asafoetida – 1/2 teaspoon
Lets see how to make this Vegetable Gotsu…
Soak split yellow lentil in enough water for 3o minutes. Keep it ready.
Heat oil in a pressure cooker pan, splutter mustard, cumin, split black gram, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Sprinkle asafoetida. Add in ginger garlic paste and saute along.
Add in the onions along with green chillies and saute till it becomes translucent.
Now add in all the cut veggies along with tomato.
Add in the soaked yellow dal, water, salt & turmeric powder.
Pressure cook for 2 whistles and switch off.
Garnish with coriander leaves. The dal will be cooked perfectly but will still hold some of its shape and thats how we want it. (soaking is the key to cook them perfectly)
- Serves 3 to 4
- This recipe gets all the heat from the green chillies… no chilli powder in this recipe.
- You may add any veggie of your choice.
- The dal will be perfectly cooked but will still hold its shape… and the gravy will look kind of chunky.