Pecan Shortbread Cookies are truly buttery, melt in your mouth cookies with crisp touch of pecans… is my fav to make this holiday season. Have you ever tried those store bought Keebler sandies? 😛 these are something similar and will never disappoint you as this recipe is adapted from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa! And also these are eggless and will be perfect treat for Vegetarians too!
The original recipe is for a big batch and I adjusted the measures for a smaller batch which yields about 10-12 cookies and also have substituted white sugar with brown sugar.
- Butter – 1 stick or (1/2 cup)
- Brown Sugar – 1/3 cup
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 teaspoon
- All purpose flour – 1 cup + 1 tablespoon
- Salt – a generous pinch
- Pecans – 1/2 cup (diced)
Lets see how to make this Pecan Shortbread Cookies…
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. (You may use regular beater with a whisk.
Run it until the butter and sugar combines well. Add in vanilla extract at this stage.
Now in a bowl sift flour and salt and add this to the butter/sugar mixture. Slow speed mode mix until everything combined. Do not run the mixer in fast mode we just need the dough to come together.
Add in the pecans while you mix the flour.
Dump this over a floured surface and shape like a log. Do not knead… just press to make a dough
Wrap it up in parchment or plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
Take it out and cut them into 1/2 inch discs. Place the cookies in an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 18 minutes or until the edges brown a bit.
Time may vary… it could take 20 to 25 minutes depending on the oven and baking sheet.
Once done, cool them completely in a wire rack and enjoy. Store them in air-tight box for upto a week.
- Makes 10 approx
- You may use white sugar in the place of brown sugar.
- Original recipe includes almond extract, i didn’t have so skipped.
- Some like to toast the pecans in oven before adding to the dough. I lightly dry roasted for few minutes in a pan, cooled and then diced. You may add raw too.
- You can add dry fruits like cranberry, dry orange rind or lemon rind of variations.
Some cookie recipes to try…
- Thengai Biscuit / Coconut Biscuits
- Butterscotch Chocolate Chunk cookies
- Easy 4- ingredient Nutella Cookies
- Eggless Jam Cookies
- Eggless Oatmeal Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Walnut cookies