DATES HALWA RECIPE / DATES ROLL / FRUIT & NUT HALWA RECIPE / DATES SQUARES / DATES LADOO / DATES LADDU RECIPE / DATES NUT BAR / HEALTHY SWEETS RECIPE / RAMADAN RECIPES / DATES DOMINOS / NUT HALWA / KHAJOOR KA HALWA RECIPE / PERICHAM PAZHA HALWA / பேரிச்சம் பழ அல்வா / EASY DIWALI SWEETS / EASY SWEET RECIPES / DESSERT RECIPES / HEALTHY SWEETS RECIPES
Wonderfully delicious, dates are one of the most popular fruits packed with an impressive list of essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that are required for normal growth, development and overall well-being. Fresh dates have soft, easily digestible flesh rich in dietary fiber which is an excellent source if iron, a great sweet snack for kids! Today we are preparing this lip-smacking halwa using de-seeded dates combined with loads of nuts with slight tinge of sweetened milk fat, a great dessert recipe to try out for Eid!
|Condensed Sweetened milk||5 Tablespoons|
|Assorted nuts||3/4 cup (chopped)|
Choose good quality pitted dates and chop them finely or run a few pulse on a food processor and keep aside. Choose assorted nuts (almonds,unsalted pistachios and cashews). Heat ghee in a pan and toast the nuts until they become crisp. Let cool completely, roughly chop and keep aside.
Combine milk and chopped dates in a sauce pan and heat it. Dates will start to melt and turn soft after few minutes (usually takes 4 to 5 minutes over medium flame). Keep stirring until it becomes like a big lump, slowly add the sweetened condensed milk along with toasted nuts and stir. After a couple of minutes this will roll like a big ball (like a thick mass as shown), switch off and let cool completely. (The consistency will be little sticky- do not panic 😉 )
Now transfer the dates halwa on top a plastic sheet, apply little ghee to your hands and roll like big log and flatten.
Wrap completely and freeze it for 1 hour. Then cut them into small pieces and enjoy. If you have the patience and time, decorate these cuboids with nuts to give a domino’s effect.
- Yields about 10 pieces (dates domino’s)
- Alternate method- if you don’t have condensed milk handy at home then grind / pulse the dates with 1 cup warm whole milk and cook along with 1/2 cup sugar and proceed with the recipe.
- If the dates that you have are a little hard then I would recommend soaking in warm milk for 1/2 hour.
- Good for few days at room temperature, refrigeration helps for few more additional days.
- Alternatively you can also try rolling the log on toasted coconut flakes if you prefer. Shape them like laddus and or just have it plain. Coconut can reduce the shelf life. Adding more ghee gives you a very glossy finish, we at home prefer with less ghee.. Choice is yours, enjoy the way you like!
- If can add 1/8 teaspoon of cardamom powder to the recipe, we at home personally don’t prefer cardamom flavor in this sweet.
- Sending this recipe for #Ramadanspecial